1. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film History Lessons

Straub-Huillet's commentary on the nature of history and society's relationship, or lack there of, with it is one of their finest films!

2. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film History Lessons

A man driving in 1970's Rome looking for the origins of political violence (?). History repeats itself.

3. Roberto Carlos's rating of the film History Lessons

A film made in 1972, set in ancient Rome, about 2015. Imperialism and class war are young and kicking. Only the Straubs.

4. Francesca Di Donna's rating of the film History Lessons

5. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film History Lessons

Como su mismo título lo manifiesta, un filme que despliega un catálogo histórico sobre las dinámicas políticas durante la Imperio Romano, sobre cómo el sistema económico y bélico estaba en función a los intereses de estado. Huillet y Straub para esto componen desde una mirada bretchiana, el espectador forma parte de lo representado no exigiendo su carácter ficcional.

6. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film History Lessons

What I got from H/S’s film is that human history inextricably joins act and hermeneutics. In the historical becoming things don’t happen without an articulation, a necessary ‘prise de conscience’. We do, we interpret, we ’read’ and weigh a gesture, then do again. If Caesar is an economic villain or a virtue paragon – both stances will engender attitudes and directions. Leaps and changes, however new, are breakdowns,

7. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film History Lessons

Arid and ugly, incessant dry monologues delivered by the half-asleep, intentionally as dull as could be ("Brechtian distancing," see?), made by people bereft of heart or soul or anything to communicate, save a schoolmarm's simplistic "history repeats itself, kids." Except for movies about Batmen or those starring Adam Sandler, I've never seen anything so worthless.

8. Eliecer Gaspar's rating of the film History Lessons

The end of history. Analog and digital recordings have forced history to produce its own history, thus turn it into a very mortal thing: like a person who lives and passes. There’s no longer a writer and myth in between. History Lessons shows this loss and conflict ruthlessly.

9. Karthik's rating of the film History Lessons

One of the true wonders of cinema that came out of the Straub/Huillet collaboration. History as labyrinth and cities as the realization of that maze. My thoughts are on a review posted on this page...