1. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Look, it doesn't work. It's tonally lopsided. The first act & a half reaches Jody Hill levels of irredeemable contempt for middlebrow society, but then Campion suddenly asks us to give a shit about these slobs; the gender dynamics are nuanced & interesting, until they aren't, & the movie careens into an unearned ending. BUT. When it does work, it's scathing, funny, tender, and immaculately filmed--plus it's Campion!

2. spasmolytic's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

I like it because Kate Winslet, Hinduism, and other than that I can't really say. It's not a good movie or anything.

3. Diderot's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

It's a pretty sloppy movie (especially compared to Campion's previous work), but it seems to elicit an unwarranted level of rancor. The set-up is promising, and there are moments that might have been developed further into a more intelligent narrative. It's like a first draft of a possibly good movie.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Sujet intéressant, hélas mal(traité) ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Linn's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Holy Moley... there is a lot going on in this Campion (surprise!) work and I don't like most of it. While I appreciate the feminist agenda of the film, subordinating character design and plausibility to this agenda almost inevitably fails. Nobody in this film is taken seriously and consequently the viewer feels not taken seriously either. A lot of slapstick here, only I couldn't laugh about it.

6. güneycan's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Depends on whether you want movie to approach you or the other way around; the director doesn't make it obvious which way to go. It's absurd like a failed joke but not clear whether intended (I believe it's): Nice scenes abruptly cut short, bad scenes popping up unexpectedly, glimpses of romance ruined by bad humor, suggest me that it's meant to be funny at the meta-movie level (like a barock comedy).

7. El Biffo's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Hard to believe Jane Campion wrote this crap.

8. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Fortunately ther's some good music and ... Pam GRIER !!! === Sinon c'est un jeu de massacre qui aurait pu ressembler à quelque chose, malheureusement CAMPION n'est pas KAZAN

9. aikeart's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

¿Y al final, no es la búsqueda de uno mismo el único problema?

10. mjgildea's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

1 1/2 out of 5 stars. While I was mesmerized by the cinematography and some of the imagery I hated just about everything else about Holy Shi--Smoke. I feel that if Pam Grier would've gotten more than 5 minutes of screen time her character could've salvaged some of this shit show but I think I'm just angry over the 2 hours I wasted on this movie. Ultimately there are just some movies a naked Kate Winslet cannot save.

11. CRUSSER's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

I swear I don't like this movie only for the Kate Winslet piss thing. ::looks around::

12. Lorena M.'s rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Once again disappointed by the unnecessary over sexualization of women in film!

13. Cbarky99's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

14. Gene Kelly Forever's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

PJ Waters was the best Havey Keitel rox!!! :)

15. T1m0thyK's rating of the film Holy Smoke!

Rather sad and boring caracters, excessive sexual content, and despite some rather good cinematography, left a bitter taste in my mouth...

16. -VAHID-'s rating of the film Holy Smoke!