1. Ouistiti's rating of the film Home from the Hill

Il Cinema Ritrovato, Bologna, 2017; re-watched, first time in a movie theatre

2. Emily O's rating of the film Home from the Hill

home from the hill hungry for love

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film Home from the Hill

A good film, from what I remember of it. This didn't stick in my mind very well, but I remember liking it. It's Mitchum being Mitchum, so you know its worth a look

4. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Home from the Hill

"A lot of people got it into their heads that the only thing the American moviegoer wanted to do was to stare at Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton and they made movies accordingly." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/01/episode-42-vincente-minnelli-melodramas.html

5. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Home from the Hill

What is a family & what are its limitations? What does it do for/to a singular identity, & what does it do to space? An immense work deeply concerned with masculinity, its effects, with the hunt & the glory & violence of the hunt. HOME FROM THE HILL touches on the vulgarity of male virility, of social myth & determinism, of blood lineage & deep-seeded paternalism. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters: our heaven & hell.

6. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Home from the Hill

Minelli's work here is stupendous but I can't quite get behind the story. When it comes to this film and others with similar plot, like Kazan's East of Eden and Splendor in the Grass, I find that they pander to Baby-boomers who hate the adults and self-identity with the young characters. It's worse when the adult's death are meant to be tragic and I just feel like it's giving in to the kids' desire to overthrow them.

7. _OOO_'s rating of the film Home from the Hill

8. Dave's rating of the film Home from the Hill

Minnelli was such a master at directing these dysfunctional family dramas. This one isn't as good as Some Came Running, but its still a beautifully photographed, well-crafted picture from a master director. Mitchum is outstanding, as is George Peppard.