1. ejonline's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

This movie is absolutely devastating, so I find it hard to write about. I'm sure it will haunt me for a long time. By spending months capturing the daily life of his extended family, Fahdel helps you grow close to them. This personalizes how Iraqi lives have been disrupted by the chaos and violence. Knowing the end in advance created a feeling of powerless that was unbearable. This is the horror of imperialism.

2. norman51227's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

I️ think that the movie Homeland (Iraq Year Zero) is an absolute must watch. Just because I️ think it portrays the Iraqis in a way that Americans probably have never seen. Seeing these people in their everyday lives sheds some light on the fact that they are not all terrorists. They are indeed normal people like you and I️. The Iraqi war in my opinion was a war that should have never happened. I️I️

3. Loz Loory's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

A major historical document that is devastating and heartbreaking to watch. Wish it were mandatory viewing for all Americans, but most of all for our current administration. I remember the propaganda in the American papers--full of talk about the lascivious actions of Saddam's sons. Not much info about the actual inhabitants of Baghdad and how we were screwing up their lives permanently. No wonder ISIS rose up.

4. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

It might be a daunting task (with the runtime over 5 1/2 hours, I broke it up into sections), but this documentary shows how the people of Iraq have been affected by war, and how various actions and circumstances turned so many against the Americans who were alleged to be helping them. Fascinating and eye-opening stuff.

5. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Puts an extremely human face on the poor civilians of Iraq who got caught in the crossfire of a madman leading their country by a stranglehold of corruption and the world's greatest military who are enraged by an attack on their home soil. The plight of the Iraqi civilians is very sad and shown extremely deftly. This depiction of war means almost zero when the movie ends with a random and unrelated act of violence.

6. Erik F.'s rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Upsetting. Sobering. Humanizing.

7. Robert H's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

I watched this film in two parts at the natural pre/post war breaks, but that did not stop it leaving an impact. This film is an astounding and important documentary which has gives such a gripping perspective and nauseating events. There are so many powerful scenes - "One can take revenge on a regime but why take revenge on a culture?". Absolutely worth the time to watch; this is exactly why I'm subscribed to Mubi.

8. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Like being there in person. Direct viewpoint of Abbas Fahdel, witnessing a country and people he loves, the smells and the sounds, the spirit and the breath of the place. An important film, acutely capturing a culture. Iraq's relationship with Saddam Hussain is special and unique to this heritage. It's shown openly & generously to us here by all those involved in this film, making it a warm film, despite about war.

9. David Danforth's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

We watched this film over three nights. It was an education. Saddam was a tyrant, but our engagement, dating from the time of the Clinton administration, has confused much and corrected little. Saddam hurt people; so have we.

10. Superfrog's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

A very convincing piece of work with a broad set of opinions expressed. And I enjoy hearing them, from the Baathist to the people reporting what got better under US occupation The ending is obviously devastating, and I would rather the documentary continued after this rather than abruptly stop.

11. McOpinionated's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Remarkable testiment. Without an insider, a film-maker family member and friend, this relaxed, human, "reality TV" would not be possible. The pace is superslow, perhaps to partly replace material from the wrecked film archive, Part 2. This is normal Iraqi life. Charming people, more like people from the UK than different! That's the message. Nobody chooses to be born in a place or time. WE are more free & more safe.

12. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Just excellent. Such a human view of events. People going about their lives, watching TV with the family, chatting, playing, studying. Rumours of a possible US invasion, better do a bit of stockpiling just in case. Then, the burnt out houses, US soldiers on the streets, descent into lawless chaos, while people still go about their daily business as best they can. Very watchable, very memorable, very important.

13. pierce.giurintano's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Very interested in this film as soon as I came across the title. This feature gives the audience a unique insight into the other side of the invasion of Iraq that is never told. One of the most apparent recurring themes that I deciphered was Resiliency. This unrated feature runs for nearly three hours, and crams in as many families, faces, and heartbreaking stories as one can take. You also get insight on Saddam.

14. David Perez's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

If I could put negative stars I would. Jesus Christ--this director needs an editor. Watching this movie you will be constantly asking: When is he going to get to the point. I only saw the first 20 minutes. A complete waste. They could have been easily whittled down to a quick and economical 3 minutes to set up the narrative. He's got his audience watching kids watch TV for over 3 minutes and then pumping for water?

15. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

4.5 // we couldn't have seen all of this otherwise. so truthfull and intimate

16. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

17. Nachtreich's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Magari da vedere una volta.

18. Federico's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

A deep look inside iraqi society during the USA invasion and some months before. It's an important testimony of that period. I really appreciate for that documentary.

19. captainfez's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

As gruelling as the conflict itself.

20. unverfügbar's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

This war hasn't ended. Or maybe it has for western news media but surely not for people who were left with the whole mess that Bush's politics have led to. It's very upsetting to realise the whole hipocrisy that lets people now scream about barbaric ways of Daesh. But in what way does this Western way differ? What is the end that justifies these means? 'Homeland' is one of the most important docus of 21st century.

21. Murata's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

You can see and know what had happened inside Iraq through lives and voices from ordinary people who lived there. This is a viewpoint not from government of Iraq nor US, but people living there.

22. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

"We need to have fun before the war". 20/3/2003. The horror, military area. "The house collapsed and everything burned". (...) "We want to avoid a bloodbath". (...) "Is this Iraqui cinema! Is this our heritage! Those who have destroyed these archives, they might need it someday. One can take revenge on a regime, but why take revenge on culture?" (...) "Only the school sign remains". My heart is broken.

23. Renton47's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

Illuminating the darkest consequences of an imperialism still justified - justified in the West's representation of the Middle East, the political denigration of their people and religions. Mammoth commitment to first bonding the audience with day-to-day and then upending all familiarity when the spaceships arrive. Fahdel seeks faces to tell this history, allows all who seek to be documented. Mostly, RIP Haidar

24. Gabriel's rating of the film Homeland (Iraq Year Zero)

A unique experience that walk you through the real Iraq. The one that existed before the disastrous american invasion, and the one that existed afterwards. This is the purpose that cinema as an art expression must always have: put some light into the darkness.