1. zubee's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Nearly 3 hours this thing is far too long. The beginning was excellent - almost mythic. The middle ok but still holding on. By the end it was floundering and lost. I don't know what went wrong other than they didn't want to say good-bye..

2. Yicheng Tao's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

"This whole thing is revovling around money!"

3. chris schmidt's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

4. michael Dunahm's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

5. Sophie Clark's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Hoop Dreams gave viewers a glimpse into the lives of two young boys struggling with race, class, and expectations. I don't even care much about basketball but became very invested in the two boys lives and their careers. Worth the watch and allowed me to view the world from a perspective I have never experienced.

6. ejonline's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

So many heartbreaks here. So many ways for a viewer to be complicit in that heartbreak.

7. cogncierge's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

You will live their life as your own. Every single second of a raw emotional journey of hopes and dreams.

8. captainfez's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

If you think this is just a basketball flick you're not paying attention.

9. Ralphesque's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

10. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Life seldom turns out exactly as expected as two promising basketball players pursue superstar stardom and a chance to play for NBA. It is soon apparent that money is essential to succeed through school who treat their sport students as cattle in their pursuit of a possible regional title. Injuries and hardships in The Family also threatens to kill their careers before it even starts. It is gripping real life stuff.

11. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

the span of time, waning dreams and pure emotions was perfectly documented! such a thorough experience into the life of the boys, their families and a true testament to the passion & endurance of Arthur and William.

12. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

A 30-minute movie that ended up as a an almost 3 hour epic of a documentary. Although the backbone is basketball, the movie goes way beyond that, dealing with racial issues, American dream and other social aspects. Excellent.

13. Gabriele Malagoli's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

14. Tim Ellrich's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

15. Trapped In The Cinema's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

An utterly remarkable film, that is about far more than just basketball. To quote another Steve James film, it is about life itself. Have a read of my full review here https://trappedinthecinemablog.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/hoop-dreams-1994-%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86/

16. miles's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

17. msmichel's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

A cultural touchstone in '94 that doesn't seem to have aged a day in its portrayal of the modern American dream and the disappointments and set backs in trying to achieve it. One realizes that despite any skill or talent the system is there to take advantage of these youths, exploit them and move on to the next batch when/if they flame out. Heartbreaking and moving at times but always poignant and thought provoking.

18. James Mackin's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

The best non-fiction film about America I have ever seen, and I don't care about basketball.

19. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

20. Baris's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

An absolutely incredible look into the highs and lows of these young men chasing their dream. Truly an important film for American culture and history.

21. Nick Potter's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Massively emotional and remarkable story about dreams. Having dreams, working towards dreams, losing dreams. Few films have ever come close to touching the strength of one's dream like this film was and is still able to.

22. SpacePirate's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

A fine doc. Worthy of a view especially if you are from a poor upbringing like myself. Was very similar to my childhood, except in the place of sports, I turned to music for escape. A very moving film to me. I am sure for others as well. A solid 4 stars

23. naokoken's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Amazed at how unpretentious this documentary was. Great to see both Agee and Gates as kids again at the end after watching them grow over 5 years in 3 hours. The narration and commentary added in were very well done, especially trying to get at the thoughts in everyones heads.

24. Nan Bauer's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Superb. You are completely immersed in the subjects' lives. Especially interesting in light of its age, and of how little things have changed. Absolutely wonderful documentary.

← Previous 1 3 4