1. Gabriele Malagoli's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

2. Tim Ellrich's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

3. Trapped In The Cinema's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

An utterly remarkable film, that is about far more than just basketball. To quote another Steve James film, it is about life itself. Have a read of my full review here https://trappedinthecinemablog.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/hoop-dreams-1994-%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86%E2%98%86/

4. miles's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

5. Bahana Damayana's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Everytime Arthur and William faced certain obstacles in pursuing their dreams that would surely drain their self-esteem, I found myself said "sabar ya bang..." to the screen. That's how powerful this documentary is.

6. msmichel's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

A cultural touchstone in '94 that doesn't seem to have aged a day in its portrayal of the modern American dream and the disappointments and set backs in trying to achieve it. One realizes that despite any skill or talent the system is there to take advantage of these youths, exploit them and move on to the next batch when/if they flame out. Heartbreaking and moving at times but always poignant and thought provoking.

7. James Mackin's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

The best non-fiction film about America I have ever seen, and I don't care about basketball.

8. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

9. Baris's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

An absolutely incredible look into the highs and lows of these young men chasing their dream. Truly an important film for American culture and history.

10. Nick Potter's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Massively emotional and remarkable story about dreams. Having dreams, working towards dreams, losing dreams. Few films have ever come close to touching the strength of one's dream like this film was and is still able to.

11. SpacePirate's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

A fine doc. Worthy of a view especially if you are from a poor upbringing like myself. Was very similar to my childhood, except in the place of sports, I turned to music for escape. A very moving film to me. I am sure for others as well. A solid 4 stars

12. naokoken's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Amazed at how unpretentious this documentary was. Great to see both Agee and Gates as kids again at the end after watching them grow over 5 years in 3 hours. The narration and commentary added in were very well done, especially trying to get at the thoughts in everyones heads.

13. Nan Bauer's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Superb. You are completely immersed in the subjects' lives. Especially interesting in light of its age, and of how little things have changed. Absolutely wonderful documentary.

14. caitlin.f's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

i was surprised i enjoyed this despite the fact that i'm not a "sports person". i was disappointed at the subtlety of the commentary on race & class -- it seemed more implied rather than explicit & i feel like they could have dug a lot deeper there.

15. David Richards's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

I'm not a huge fan of basketball, but this film was terrific... a tough and compassionate look at the lives, hopes and dreams of a couple of kids and the challenges they have to deal with.

16. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Excellent. Not five, but full of four.

17. SuzyViolence's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

This film opens many difficult questions about society and culture.

18. Darren Usher's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Equally tragic and uplifting. Beautiful American Cinema.

19. Adam S. Hacker's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Amazing that this started out being shot for a 30 minute PBS special about inner city basketball players and turned into one of the best documentaries in the world. Both inspiring and sad how the hopes of entire families rest on the shoulders of children. I like what Jr. says near the end – make it or not, I won't come back and stick up a store, or become a drug dealer. What a transformation we see in him.

20. ionosonde's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

a basketball movie that's not about basketball -- it's about what poverty does to children, and what children do about poverty.

21. Caden M's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

This documentary does so many things perfectly. Perhaps the best touch is the way in which the filmmakers positioned themselves with regard to the families. They have an uncanny knack for capturing genuine emotion. The two subjects, William and Arthur, are lovable in the special way that only children are lovable. A true gem for sports fans and documentary enthusiasts.

22. Zac Weber's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

The scope of this documentary is stunning and you'd be hard pressed to find another American film that feels so remarkably true to life for so many people in this country. The basketball element is merely a vehicle for a much larger discussion taking place about class, education, and the evolution of dreams.

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

An epic in the field of documentaries. Essentially, the American Dream is on trial, and its case study gives a damning and powerfully real verdict.

24. Dan's rating of the film Hoop Dreams

Not just about basketball, this film examines the struggles that poor inner city youth face when chasing the "American Dream". Without the prospects of basketball scholarship college is an unattainable dream for these kids. Between playing basketball, working, attending school (possibly with a 3 hour daily commute), and picking a college, the teenagers this film follows have big problems to overcomes.