1. DSPRKY's rating of the film Horse Money

An awkward diptych. The first half is so elliptical as to vex (and is more than slightly reminiscent of the oneirism of Last Year at Marienbad, but with all the good stuff taken out!); the second half is far more interesting.

2. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Horse Money

3. kinotopia's rating of the film Horse Money

"Casa de Lava" to "Letters from Fontainhas" had such a phenomenal arc and then this beyond affected art-haus effort tries to address imperial and racial tensions head on somehow maybe but not very well at all.

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Horse Money

A gorgeous dream painted in chiaroscuro, featuring Ventura, all ruffles and razorblades. He wanders around tunnels and elevators talking to ghosts and GI Joe army men.

5. jonijtr's rating of the film Horse Money

the beautiful shadows and lights accompany this painfully melancholic critique of colonialism

6. Trunfos's rating of the film Horse Money

7. Absentia's rating of the film Horse Money

8. Diogo CF's rating of the film Horse Money

cinema contra a reificação

9. JHB's rating of the film Horse Money

10. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Horse Money

11. -REM-'s rating of the film Horse Money

12. Tiba Hobus's rating of the film Horse Money

I saw this film 3 times in 2 days, I absolutely loved it.

13. opandadodavid's rating of the film Horse Money

14. alphonse's rating of the film Horse Money

Pedro Costa continually proves he's one of the most unique and interesting voices of modern cinema, and yet again he shows us that he may have the key for the future of cinema (a very different kind of cinema). His latest, Horse Money, is another piece of genuine brilliance. No other filmmaker captures people like Costa, because the Portuguese auteur doesn't limit himself to film them, but also what goes inside them.

15. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Horse Money

16. Hannah Faris's rating of the film Horse Money

17. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Horse Money

The first and final half hour are darkly magical; the middle is an oppressive slog. Borderline impossible to recommend, but I can't help feeling glad it exists all the same.

18. Nachtreich's rating of the film Horse Money

19. Toby's rating of the film Horse Money

An incredible, intangible approach to cinema. Although with slow pace this flick keeps you captivated. Not entirely convinced by Ventura's sober and mumbling performance but not seen any other Costa movies. Might be even more intense if produced as a stage play.

20. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Horse Money

3.5 stars. A whispering film made of bones. I often caught myself - for seconds at a time - accidentally watching the people's shadows instead of the people themselves. Politically, I found it pretty impenetrable, even after reading up a little on the Carnation Revolution. I suspect would have been 5-stars for me if Gil-Scott Heron had lived long enough to be involved as planned.

21. Donald Marshall's rating of the film Horse Money

A difficult and fairly abstract film, but undoubtedly a great work in its field. Thought-provoking and incredibly well acted.

22. Roshan Abeysekera's rating of the film Horse Money

Low oppressive lighting, cryptic whispers delivered by soulful looking blacks and an incomprehensible narrative for anyone out of the know. If it was playing at the Tate Modern I would have happily sat down for a good 10 minutes to watch it before moving on to some other equally enigmatic piece of modern art; but tonight I just can't be fucked.

23. Jason's rating of the film Horse Money

Now is suffused w/ thens and w/ portents. The image is a voluptuary. Costa has Caravaggio'd to a place to which I am certain no other artist will ever get. This is a totem. A gnostic utterance, irreducibly profound, but smokey, opalescent. We're buried right out in the open. I have seldom felt so absolutely ravished by anything. This is what we would like to imagine drugs can do. Drugs can't do this. Not even close.

24. Carmine Loru's rating of the film Horse Money

Misery's never been so beautiful!