1. Chearth's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

2. CinePensieri's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

3. EdieEmm's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Akerman does film-as-performance-art. Unflinchingly, daringly raw and (inter)personal exercises in structure and form. And we are the implicated voyeurs, bringing life to tropes via quantum observation. How undermined the legacy of cinema on human communication, on empathy, on intellect & imagination would be without these assertive counterweights to the oppressive hegemony of narrative film! Thank you, Akerman. 3.75

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

The life of a hotel. It’s a lonely place, but not one that is lifeless. It has mystery and ambience to it.

5. K_Tarr's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

There's neither a narrative nor sound. Sound is the other half of the location's atmosphere--without it, the space seems lifeless. Eno's Music for Airports as an accompaniment made this hour long experiment less insufferable.

6. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

You can not enter a side room in a hotel, you can not have a permit for it, but you can imagine. you ve to consider this film with an eye of a person who is walking in the corridor.motion fields symbolize the truth.motionless human figures inside different rooms symbolizes our imagination about the rooms we can not enter into... they were just ideas. in my opinion hotel monterey was voyeur of real and fantasy...

7. Sarah E. Fonseca's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Elevators, moving silently, seemed so foreboding. Stare at a symmetrically-framed scene & you'll be driven mad by the asymmetry within it––an ajar curtain, a lopsided lamp. Halls, slick w/light & glossy paint, took on a vaginal quality. Watched last 15 minutes with Soko's most recent album playing; worked wonders on my attention span. Hôtel made me appreciate contemporary film's complex audio production process, oy.

8. Sancar Seckiner's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

9. Renton47's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Corridors are one of the most perfect cinematic images, filled with a beguiling sense of mystery, so I am happy to watch a film almost devoted to them. A film for showing how perception can change a small space into an evocative canvas. Oddly reminds me of pop art of the era, isolating/multiplying recognised images we take for granted and questioning why we have extrapolated this reality.

10. courtneylesueur's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Need to rewatch (I dozed off a few times, but to my credit, I watched this at 2 am). Impressive imagery, interesting study of American life/isolation.

11. GoSpeedGo!'s rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

soundtrack: Max Richter - Memoryhouse

12. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Final ten minutes save what otherwise is a series of poorly framed and uninventive imagery.

13. ry h's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

An important development in Akerman's work with space and duration, "Hôtel Monterey" lacks the narrative substructure of her later films - yet reimburses with pure atmosphere.

14. Violins By Night's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

...the skulking occupants; the mysterious flickering shadows; the ominous dark corridors; the muted colours of the decor; the deafening silence - Hotel Monterey is unsettling, ambient horror.

15. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

One of the great portraits of New York City... I love how Chantal Akerman romanticizes the grimier and more cozy part of the city versus the upper class Manhattan we're used to seeing in this light- just great!

16. NICOLE86's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Its very somber and the camerawork is gorgeous.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

This is a silent film, so I don't want to spoil it by saying anything about it.

18. Blumes's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

19. kartina obskura's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

hotel room looks like one i almost forgot and i thought i never will. the old man moves his finger. perhaps that´s more true than anything else.

20. Stevie's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Akerman's framing is excellent here. I love her bravery in committing herself to this experimental feature. After the claustrophobic nature of the hotel, it's a relief to escape to the outdoors.

21. Sunrise's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Akerman and Mangolte intelligently compose in a manner that challenges our perceptual instincts. When there is clarity and brightness there is little content to maintain interest. Where there is a flat surface and closed door, they inspire question and anticipation. This constant choice to direct our attention away from common formal strategies further repeats across each floor, inspiring a belief beyond form!

22. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

Bueno...eran los 70's, momentos en que los cineastas se atrevieron a explorar nuevas formas estéticas.

23. oldfilmsflicker's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

I put on Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. it helped.

24. Kika Barreto's rating of the film Hôtel Monterey

The concept is interesting and there are some really good shots, but it might be a bit too experimental. Watching it completely mute makes it at some points hard to follow.