1. sightlines@judyprice.co.uk's rating of the film Housekeeping

A homage to the spirit of the imagination and rejection of the norms of society - the main characters transcend the oppressive structures of the 1950's and seem almost contemporary transcending gender rolls and expectations- charming, poignant and poetic

2. karl's rating of the film Housekeeping

4 stars for the film + 1 star for Karl J Kipling's comment.

3. woofwoofwoof's rating of the film Housekeeping

This is an explicitly female story about the way women's nonconformity has always been pathologized and the anxiety/fear/trauma that creates if you are a woman that does not know how/is incapable of conforming. This isn't about ~rejecting American society~ it is specifically about women. It matters that the main characters are women. It matters that the antagonist of the story is a man. This film is about women.

4. stevesher1951's rating of the film Housekeeping

One of a kind film. Beautifully shot and paced. High on my list of favourite films.

5. El Biffo's rating of the film Housekeeping

5 stars for the set designs and costumes. I can understand why some people love this film. It celebrates independence and rejection of 1950's America in a uniquely gentle way.

6. mubianer's rating of the film Housekeeping

Great cinemtography, but a little too sentimental.

7. Magda Magdy's rating of the film Housekeeping

Eccentric characters portrayed poignantly, as they resist conformity and choose imagination and escapism.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Housekeeping

This is a perfect movie for those times when you're floundering and have no idea what to do, and you feel oppressed by what you think society's expectations are.

9. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Housekeeping

A song in praise of eccentricity that depicts conformity as slavery and spiritual death. The ending, fleeing into darkness from the kindly old local policeman (this is one of the few American films that show how sinister such a character can be) is a perfect illustration of Thoreau's "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."

10. Rod Lebowski's rating of the film Housekeeping

I want a Criterion version of this film. Not only is it visually outstanding, it's probably the only movie about women in the '50s that made me completely forget it was about women in the '50s. People who think crap like "The Hours" make some kind of poignant feminist statement should be required by law to watch it. Should I say "criminally underrated"? Probably. One of my all-time favorites in a walk.

11. Tigger00's rating of the film Housekeeping

My 2nd fave movie ever, I love it.

12. Roscoe's rating of the film Housekeeping

A lovely quiet and unsettling little movie. A lost classic that deserves to be wider known.

13. previewfilms's rating of the film Housekeeping

Sylvie has the right attitude in this great film. The little dilemmas in life shouldn't get in the way of living it. Trailer: http://bit.ly/housekeep-trailer