1. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Housekeeping

Introducing one of the most underrated villains ever in Lucille! It's a film about family, but how even with a singular experience, people can't help crafting their own path... I am currently reading Gogol, and some of the banalities of the townsfolk is ever so fitting. I loved it especially when Forsyth takes us out to the wild, bobbing on moonlit lakes in the search for forest children.

2. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Housekeeping

Arguably the most atypical film from the talented Bill Forsyth, who both directed and adapted the source material for the big screen, this nevertheless retains his strengths, warm and likable characters and moments of honesty couched in a world that feels as if it is weaving between reality and cinematic artifice. A very rewarding movie experience, helped by great performances and a nice sense of time and place.

3. keithinhull's rating of the film Housekeeping

Seen this film many times It still charms

4. Steve Thompson's rating of the film Housekeeping

Admirers of Bill Forsyth's Scottish films may miss some of their charm and sparkle in this rather more muted and subtle drama set in 1950s Idaho. However 'Housekeeping' is a film that becomes more unnerving as it develops, with the pastoral idyll gradually moving into wilder and more renegade territory. Poetic and thoughtful, it certainly extends the range and depth of this director's all too small body of work.

5. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Housekeeping

Can see this must have been a beautiful book and it's acted and shot really well ... but something got lost in the translation ... don't think the huge amounts of voiceover help. An interesting curio.

6. benjamin.br@hotmail.co.uk's rating of the film Housekeeping

Would make for a fine companion piece to the Maysles documentary Grey Gardens. A beautifully shot, meandering dream of a film celebrating eccentricity and bold nonconformity in a post-war era where rigid, traditional values such as marriage and the nuclear family were being reinforced in American society. Quietly understated and criminally underrated, Housekeeping is a rare cinematic gem.

7. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Housekeeping

A tragic story of a girl who keeps on getting left behind. The landscapes feel unreal, and the human story within only sporadically connects. Brilliant moments, but lack of closer was unsatisfying.

8. Charlie Fairley's rating of the film Housekeeping

This film is excellent, and highlights the difficulty of not fitting into 1950's normal American society, and being slightly 'odd', so that people find you uncomfortable and confusing. It is a slow and meandering film, much like Sylvie's walks, where elements of story and folklore impact on the lives of Ruth and Lucille. Lucille refuses it, but Ruth finds it interesting. It is also something of a coming-of-age film.

9. Claudia Kappenberg's rating of the film Housekeeping

Brilliant. So much with so little.

10. Judy Price's rating of the film Housekeeping

A homage to the spirit of the imagination and rejection of the norms of society - the main characters transcend the oppressive structures of the 1950's and seem almost contemporary transcending gender rolls and expectations- charming, poignant and poetic

11. karl's rating of the film Housekeeping

4 stars for the film + 1 star for Karl J Kipling's comment.

12. woofwoofwoof's rating of the film Housekeeping

This is an explicitly female story about the way women's nonconformity has always been pathologized and the anxiety/fear/trauma that creates if you are a woman that does not know how/is incapable of conforming. This isn't about ~rejecting American society~ it is specifically about women. It matters that the main characters are women. It matters that the antagonist of the story is a man. This film is about women.

13. stevesher1951's rating of the film Housekeeping

One of a kind film. Beautifully shot and paced. High on my list of favourite films.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film Housekeeping

5 stars for the set designs and costumes. I can understand why some people love this film. It celebrates independence and rejection of 1950's America in a uniquely gentle way.

15. mubianer's rating of the film Housekeeping

Great cinemtography, but a little too sentimental.

16. Magda Magdy's rating of the film Housekeeping

Eccentric characters portrayed poignantly, as they resist conformity and choose imagination and escapism.

17. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Housekeeping

This is a perfect movie for those times when you're floundering and have no idea what to do, and you feel oppressed by what you think society's expectations are.

18. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Housekeeping

A song in praise of eccentricity that depicts conformity as slavery and spiritual death. The ending, fleeing into darkness from the kindly old local policeman (this is one of the few American films that show how sinister such a character can be) is a perfect illustration of Thoreau's "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."

19. Rod Lebowski's rating of the film Housekeeping

I want a Criterion version of this film. Not only is it visually outstanding, it's probably the only movie about women in the '50s that made me completely forget it was about women in the '50s. People who think crap like "The Hours" make some kind of poignant feminist statement should be required by law to watch it. Should I say "criminally underrated"? Probably. One of my all-time favorites in a walk.

20. Tigger00's rating of the film Housekeeping

My 2nd fave movie ever, I love it.

21. Roscoe's rating of the film Housekeeping

A lovely quiet and unsettling little movie. A lost classic that deserves to be wider known.

22. robdido's rating of the film Housekeeping

Sylvie has the right attitude in this great film. The little dilemmas in life shouldn't get in the way of living it. Trailer: http://bit.ly/housekeep-trailer