1. FISCHER's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Trois metteurs en scène, cinq épisodes : Pourquoi pas... www.cinefiches.com

2. Aardsy's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Generic ON A GRAND SCALE!!

3. Øyvind Rype's rating of the film How the West Was Won

The Cinerama technology offers a lot of stunning vistas but in terms of script, storytelling and acting, the movie is on par with Little House on the Prairie. A failed "could've been".

4. Brendan's rating of the film How the West Was Won

5. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Watched the restored version showed on BBC and it looks better than any pre-21st century film I have ever seen, it terms of cleanliness, polish. It's a bit of a mess, and doesn't all go together that well, the ending seems to belong in a another film for example, but certain parts are fantastic. Ford's segment is good, and at times makes good use of the three cameras, but it's too short for me to get emotionally...

6. poordogsbody's rating of the film How the West Was Won

7. Warren Spratley's rating of the film How the West Was Won

I only watched John Ford's section entitled "The Civil War." It's as perfect as any movie ever made.

8. http://letterboxd.com/James_'s rating of the film How the West Was Won

*rating applies to Ford's 'The Civil War' solely

9. Dalibor's rating of the film How the West Was Won

It should be reduced to 3 minutes long and called "Buffalo stampede".

10. Publius's rating of the film How the West Was Won

You can see the seams in the still!

11. Ciné-Philosophe's rating of the film How the West Was Won

With some modifications I would call this film: "Les Tableaux Vivants!"

12. WhatsUpWill's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Hugely entertaining, beautiful cinematography, wonderful cast (sans Reynolds). It's the definitive epic western. You must make a pilgrimage to see it at a Cinerama theater like I did to see it properly.

13. Corriel's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Sometimes kitsch/archaic for 1962 (predictable, hollywoodian, not very clear story and theatrical, overplayed acting), sometimes offering nice scenes (beautiful landscape, some nice framing and a few impressive action scenes), I have the impression this film was especially made around Cinerama (I saw it on a flat screen with the Cinerama format, a curiosity in itself).

14. filmcapsule's rating of the film How the West Was Won

I was most interested when the directors tried to emphasize the strange fish-eye distortion rather than hide it. Like the tracking shots in the introduction and Ford running horses and soldiers left to right in closeup. Unfortunately, a lot of it is staged as simply as films from the 1910s.

15. Alexander Peacock's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Largely bad, beyond some early scenes and the Ford Civil War segment which is just pure perfection, one of his greatest works and stands completely on its own within this superproduction.

16. MarcH's rating of the film How the West Was Won

In terms of epic movies...as a piece of ballyhoo, spectacle, gimmickry and showmanship...I'd say it has no equal.

17. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Only one way to see "How The West Was Won" and thats in 3-strip Cinerama ! Just had the opportunity to see it, at the recent "Bradford International Film Festival's Widescreen Week-end".An excellent print,with terrific sound.You should have felt the auditorium shake during the river rapids and buffalo stampede sequences.The viewing experience,turns a good film,into a great film.

18. Xurxo G Penalta's rating of the film How the West Was Won

if you want to enjoy this at home, go for the blueray cenerama "smilebox" version this is worth seeing for the scope alone.

19. damon hannis's rating of the film How the West Was Won

I love this film more eveytime i see it...

20. Charles1990's rating of the film How the West Was Won

21. Neil Bahadur's rating of the film How the West Was Won

Would be three stars, but elevated to four, because of the immense power of Ford's episode.