1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Humanité

This is a film that gently reveals itself. His direction is masterful, because he uses non-actors and really knows how to get great performances from them. I'd say he's definitely better than Bresson in that aspect. There's so much to this movie that lies beneath the surface that you might not pick up the first time.

2. ermete polpette's rating of the film Humanité

3. oooooo's rating of the film Humanité

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Humanité

5. Gonçalo Loureiro's rating of the film Humanité

6. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Humanité

Much to admire but also a feat of endurance - I have to admit the glacial pacing defeated me at times and I found it difficult to decide whether I was watching a masterpiece or indulgent tosh. Either way, this is bold provocative film-making, rich in ideas and uncompromising in its commitment to ambiguity and suggestion over explication. The central performances fully deserve the praise they received at Cannes.

7. Crina Cătălina's rating of the film Humanité

Could be because I did a lot of multitasking while watching this, but it made little sense to me. Bleak, but not in a compelling manner. Could have done without the uncalled for sex scenes, thanks but no thanks.

8. Oneb's rating of the film Humanité

Perhaps this asks questions of the viewer's relationship to the provinces and the working classes; the muted members of society. The quietude is explosive, giving all possibilities but choosing only one - this conversly makes the simple lives more mysterious, profound. Does the film emerge coherently from Courbet's "L'Origine du monde", Duchamp's "Étant donnés"?

9. SiIencio's rating of the film Humanité

Profound allegory where some will definitely find references to spiritualism, sanctity or even the life of Jesus. It constantly juxtaposes a form of wholesome pure compassionate grieving love against a more terrenal one. Dumont demands labour & attention as the film trudges seemingly without aim arguably failing to develop more complex dimensions around its lead characters, here an outstanding non-professional cast.

10. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film Humanité

Quite difficult to describe this film. The slow pace and the long contemplative shots mirroring the look of the main character set the tone right from the beginning. Because all of us at some point look at things in a way like we need to absorve them as part of the world we live in and what we are. Amazing performance from the main actor. Not an easy film to watch but certainly rewarding, from my point of view.

11. raggiodisole's rating of the film Humanité

a singular take on the crime genre, a Mannerist study of a collection of oddballs. Much taken with the style, its patient way with people, you see much but learn little.

12. msmichel's rating of the film Humanité

Essential cinema. Dumont's second feature was a 3 time award winner at Cannes including the Grand Prix and two acting awards for its non-professional leads Emmanuel Schotte (who to date has never acted again) and Severine Caneele. Scripting was excellent with an understory of a child's murder being supplanted within the lives of a triangle of damaged people. Miserable, sexually frank and disturbing but mesmerizing.

13. Emiluke's rating of the film Humanité

Wierd and wonderful. Not sure his character was explored enough and am not convinced about the ending but on the whole a French classic

14. Ian Pike's rating of the film Humanité

At what point does Pharoan start to "investigate the crime"? I gave up waiting after 30 minutes of tedium. Why is lethargic (boring) story-telling equated with greatness in French cinema (and too often on Mubi)? What does 2 minutes of him cycling followed by an anine conversation with an old man about his bike, followed by him choking on an apple, tell me about the character, the story? Dull!

15. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film Humanité

So much of this is great but, ultimately, feels 30-40 minutes too long and is robbed of some of its impact as a result.

16. Shawn golby's rating of the film Humanité

I found the movie to be captivating,ive never seen a film that forces the viewer to slow down and watch lifes intricacies ,I found it a refreshing change from the big Hollywood films that force you to speed up. I also applaud the male and female leads on sterling performances.

17. Tesss's rating of the film Humanité

Emmanuel Schotte makes this film. Incredible, close to painful, restraint.

18. captainfez's rating of the film Humanité

What the Gallic fuck, detective?

19. Paolo's rating of the film Humanité

Great actor (Emmanuel Schotte), precise and lucid writing. One of those films you wish to watch another time.

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Humanité

21. JOHN ATHERTON's rating of the film Humanité

VEry slow odd film, worth watching to try and absorb it;s intent which for me was - the things unsaid but understood in the character's psyche. Very slow though.

22. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Humanité

I wonder why I ended up liking this boring as hell film. Could it be because, like most people, I too need the idea of an impossibly innocent, candid, people loving martyr who pays for our cruelty and indifference, while I remain comfortably detached from all the suffering? If so, at least it's slightly more entertaining than the new testament.

23. Ric's rating of the film Humanité

Are you kidding me? This guy's a senior detective? Looks like he belongs in a sheltered workshop! And he's investigating a gruesome murder like a it's a car-theft? And, of course, unnecessary, gratuitous sex scenes that we always expect from Bruno.

24. João Zabaleta's rating of the film Humanité

Those kind of histories makes me think that unfortunately a great number of europeans seems to be just too much christian to speak about humanity without been silly. Strange and naive film.