1. FISCHER's rating of the film Hunger

Splendide adaptation d'un roman autobiographique de Knut Hamsun, prix Nobel de littérature, qui arrive merveilleusement bien à retraduire l'obsession et le drame d'un homme qui puise dans le jeûne une nouvelle force créative... www.cinefiches.com

2. Matutinal Steel's rating of the film Hunger

Comes very close to the greatness of the source material.

3. Robert Burdock's rating of the film Hunger

Not too bad as far as adaptations go, but not a patch on Hamsun's novel.

4. Bogdan Liviu's rating of the film Hunger

Knut Hamsun, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920, has the reputation of being a norwegian Dostoyevsky. In "Hunger", you will meet Raskolnikov and the brother of The Underground Man. Furthermore, Thomas Mann described him as a descendant of Fyodor Dostoyevky and Friedrich Nietzsche. So if you love Fyodor Dostoyevsky, I highly recommend reading the novel "Hunger", and then watch this wonderful movie.

5. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Hunger

It didn't live up to the images and feeling I got from the book, which could almost make you sick at times, but Carlsen’s film does its own thing with terrific B&W cinematography and a knockout performace from Per Oscarsson.

6. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Hunger

but the actor and the musician!

7. marco's rating of the film Hunger

una obra maestra absoluta del cinema contemporáneo y prácticamente desconocida!

8. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Hunger

This film blew my mind even though I didn't get to finish watching it before Mubi cycled it out. I'll need to hold off my review until I see the final 1/4. But, wow, the technique was simply gorgeous. The meditation on hunger and desire gut wrenching.

9. Zac Weber's rating of the film Hunger

Social realism at its finest, particularly the examination of classes. I really enjoyed the stark black and white cinematography and quirky jump cuts.

10. Clay_Carter's rating of the film Hunger

This film grew on me by the end. The lead performance, Per Oscarsson, is balanced in all the best ways. We feel so much for Pontus especially in these scenes when he returns to the pawn shop to attempt to sell what little he has for as little value. And the spirit of this man is so admirable and yet not contrived. Perhaps a tad taxing on the modern viewer but a worthwhile lesson in filmmaking and characterization.

11. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Hunger

Thank goodness for sailor boats!!

12. momosan's rating of the film Hunger

I"m not sure why this film hasn't made any "top 10 films to see before you die" lists because it feels like one of those. The mood is a cross between Sartre's Nausea and Rowan Atkinson (Black Adder not Mr Bean!).

13. David R Williams's rating of the film Hunger

Beautifully photographed. Impeccably acted. Strange funny and frightening often at the same time. For fans of 60s art-house cinema this is a real treat.

14. T Mills's rating of the film Hunger

I don't feel the description of this film is quite accurate. It's an infuriating yet incredibly effective journey into pride and madness. It's not quite all insanity that dominates this character but incredible pride which leads him into to so many disasters. But it's hard to stop watching him. My one criticism is the part with the woman, I never understood her motivation and it was the only weak element of the film

15. ara's rating of the film Hunger

he's so hip. and insane. i'm in love.

16. Rhondo Alameda's rating of the film Hunger

17. skidoc03's rating of the film Hunger

A starving artist (literally) stumbles around 1890 Oslo battling hunger and madness. I wouldn’t call it an entertaining movie, but it holds your attention due to the well-recreated sets, and excellent acting by the lead actor who from certain angles reminded me of a demented Johnny Depp.

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Hunger

This compares favorably Charlie Chaplin's 'The Immigrant'. His tramp is not played for laughs, but something much bigger. He's crazy, but his moral sense makes him rise above the others in this film. Compassion. Unlike Chaplin, he can't take money from someone and not feel guilty. It reminded me of 'Pennies from Heaven', where dreams of glory meet the hard reality of his life. Hope is that thing with feathers.

19. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Hunger

Per Oscarsson is magnificent.

20. Jack Stone's rating of the film Hunger

I liked this movie--very good production values, and the best, most faithful cinematic adaptation of Knut Hamsun's very strange first novel that can be expected. I was disappointed with how the film tried to resolve the mystery of the novel's conclusion. Hamsun, himself, left the thing much more mysterious (his next novel, even stranger than this one, was _Mysteries_). His own resolution was notoriously misguided.

21. Dodd Alley's rating of the film Hunger

It's terrific to discover a treasure such as this. "Hunger" not only refers to the need for nourishment, but the yearning and lust for the finer things in life. Our main character is a man putting on appearances for the sake of social class acceptance or even love. Per Oscarsson plays this part to perfection as a dreamer grasping at air.

22. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Hunger

Incredible performance by the lead actor. I haven't read the book so I can't speak to quality of the adaptation but I found it to be a very powerful film.

23. mooniac's rating of the film Hunger

Feels as good as the book. Just how I imagined.

24. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Hunger

Take out the part where he goes with Gunnel to her flat and it would be a flawless masterpiece. No woman, much less a lady, would have gone anywhere near him - apart from being obviously mentally ill, he would have been putrid. Even by the standards of the time.