1. letters never sent's rating of the film I, a Negro

'Just because I'm always sad now, doesn't mean I wasn't happy.' Ethnographic filmmaking at its finest. Just like in Kidlat Tahimik's works, I found myself invested in the small community and the individuals that were featured in the film. Oh how I wonder whatever became of Eddie Constantine, Tarzan, Petit Jules, and Eddie Robinson.

2. Fabio Souza's rating of the film I, a Negro

3. mubianer's rating of the film I, a Negro

One of the most entertaining (fake) documentaries I have seen. Life was hard for these guys in the Abidjan slums, but they knew how to enjoy themselves too. A film I need to re-watch for sure.

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film I, a Negro

5. Rafael Zen's rating of the film I, a Negro

This filme is half a powerful truth, half a lie. Jean Rouch manages to build life from life - he has the tools of a good writer and gets the story going with ease, although the story itself is not interely his. Tarzan, Eddy Constantine and Edward G. Robinson are characters to be enjoyed for those who like live-action poetry.

6. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film I, a Negro

La puissance de la poétique du '' je ''. La Nouvelle vague a commencé ici, non pas 1960 (avec Pickpocket, Nuit et Brouillard et Voyage en Italie). Le narrateur parle constamment comme si il voulait s'approprier les images filmées par un opérateur blanc, lol.

7. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film I, a Negro

Documental rodado a dos tiempos: la contemplación de la rutina de un grupo de migrantes africanos y la voz en off que no solo dramatiza dichos eventos, sino que además los monologan. "I, a negro" pone en objetivo un cuadro de la misera, pero como lo anuncia su mismo director, empuja a que sus personajes reflexionen sobre su lamentable situación.

8. El Biffo's rating of the film I, a Negro

Absolutely captivating, utterly beautiful. Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire, 1957. We follow 5 immigrants from Niger as they try to make a life far from home. The images are mesmerizing, they need no narration, however the story is charming, I found myself going backwards to watch scenes again when I had been distracted by the subtitles. As soon as it was done, I started to watch it again from the beginning. Un film parfait!

9. Lays Laine's rating of the film I, a Negro

simple and revolutionary since idea to language, besides be a portrait social and history that should not go unnoticed - side effects of the capital, where few have much and many have little. save RAY SUGAR ROBBINSON!

10. chanandre's rating of the film I, a Negro