1. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film I Confess

Or ****? Not bad at all: but why a Catholic priest should turn down Anne Baxter is a bit implausible (mind you, Monty Clift was a left footer so maybe that's why) and why a priest should risk being hanged when the murderer has confessed to him is also stretching things a bit. Nice photography of Quebec-Ville, but surely 50% of the population aren't nuns and priests? Dmitri Tiomkin's score is laughably over the top.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film I Confess

Mené de main de maître, ce film pose avec acuité l'inévitable problème de conscience inhérent aux codes de la confession, entre transfert, pardon et silence... www.cinefiches.com

3. Tudor Rachieru's rating of the film I Confess

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film I Confess

5. Histioteuthis's rating of the film I Confess

Sort of like Stage Fright I can't say that it's particularly amazing but it's solid and definitely a better Hitchcock movie featuring a climactic court scene

6. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film I Confess

Minor Hitchcock but not bad. Clift isn't allowed any emotional layers and he has no chemistry with Anne Baxter. However, the premise is compelling and Hitchcock gets the feel of Quebec City.

7. Poor Margo's rating of the film I Confess

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film I Confess

Very underappreciated Hitch. Not sure why. Good plot and tight script. Excellent performances from Clift, Malden, and co. Great imagery and wonderful B&W cinematography. The public slept on it back in the day, don't sleep on it now. Up there with Lifeboat in terms of his more psychological films

9. Blumes's rating of the film I Confess

"You can do a lot of things in 30 minutes."

10. Scott Lucas's rating of the film I Confess

Minor Hitchcock is still pretty major.

11. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film I Confess

12. Mary in the Sky with Movies's rating of the film I Confess

13. robNblu's rating of the film I Confess

Truly truly truly a master work. I was at complete awe for 10 mins after it was over. Just thought-provoking & entertaining - both in best possible way!

14. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film I Confess

★★★★ only God forgives.

15. AKFilmFan's rating of the film I Confess

An underrated and very solid Hitchcock that trades thrills for overwhelming guilt. While the villain is a little weak the very good performance by Clift and the lovely cinematography (full of great symbolism) help lift this film that could've ended up subpar.

16. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film I Confess

A lesser Hitchcock, strangely uninventive, badly acted and pursuing a narrative that seems dated and unconvincing. Still, some beautiful imagery and Karl Malden make it worth while.

17. Hikaru's rating of the film I Confess

This is a consistently beautiful film from beginning to end, with so many virtues - a wonderful cast, effective location shots and well paced storytelling. The unusually somber and quiet narrative for a Hitchcock film culminates in a very moving final act.

18. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film I Confess

The double is guilty, not myself but the other.

19. Yasser Azmy's rating of the film I Confess

A good Lesson on craft and plotting

20. Sifragum's rating of the film I Confess

What an hidden gem ! It's less of a thriller but either a well constructed psychological drama .Scenes shot in Quebec are a few steps from my home what a joy ! Made my night , week ,year , entirely !

21. Jye Sherwell's rating of the film I Confess

Obviously this needs more attention. What a great film! Plus now I'm already in love with Montgomery Clift, and Anne Baxter ain't too bad either!

22. chanandre's rating of the film I Confess

23. Dave's rating of the film I Confess

Incredibly underrated Hitchcock. No, it's not on the level of his best work, but as Stonez says in the post immediately below this, it has a lot going for it both visually and thematically. And you should never need any prodding to watch anything that Montgomery Clift is in.

24. Jesse's rating of the film I Confess

One of Hitchcock's most underrated films.