1. Pipim's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Un beau document avant la mort de Chantal. De la voir dans plusieurs pays, différents contextes, au travail, restitue justement le personnage! Dommage qu'il y ait autant d'extraits de films et pas plus de témoignages, d'interviews et d'images archives.

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

A little too auteur theory driven for my taste but Chantal was an amazingly articulate and intelligent woman.

3. Tiba Hobus's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

4.5 - great film about a wonderful woman and filmmaker.

4. Feng Ling's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

somehow I feel everything said was quite obvious

5. Matt Payne's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

An insightful look inside the process of Chantal and her life's work. Loved the moment when she describes why she wants the audience to feel the passing of time in each shot as opposed to it being taken from them.

6. El Biffo's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

I love Chantal Akerman. This bio/doc is great, although I think it is important to see her work first, not start with this. There are some spoilers for those who have not seen Jeanne Dielman or Saute Ma Ville, and a few of her other films. I recommend starting with her first films and seeing them all chronologically to really feel her process.

7. Nan Bauer's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Stunning, and in light of Ackerman's untimely death, precious. It's hard to imagine this most alive of filmmakers, this acute and unsparing eye, is no longer with us. A must for anyone who loves the art of film.

8. David R Williams's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Anyone seeking an understanding of Ackerman's work needs to start here. The ending...Ackerman walking away from the camera into a desert wasteland...she looks back once, smiles,turns and continues. No, you cannot follow...not yet.

9. Brian Gutierrez's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Completely enjoyed seeing things from the perspective of the artist before diving further into her work. Also, the discussion on time sent an electricity through my head.

10. Landen Celano's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Oh Chantal how we'll miss you.

11. Caitlin's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

A moving tribute to an inimitable genius. I still can't believe Akerman is gone.

12. Blueangel33's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

My first intro to Chantal Ackerman. I learned much from her and this film. It's a different type of homage to a director. I enjoyed it. I had not realized that she sees the world through a lens - like Doris Lessing and her golden notebook. Lovely.

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Not really overly insightful about her work. I found the story that Chantal tells about William Hurt to be the most intriguing of the film. She also says at one point: "All great directors do this. I do the opposite." I guess her work is just not my cup of tea.

14. Slow Immersion [Joe]'s rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

OK if you are a super fan of her work. Although I respect her work and she was one of the most important directors in narrative cinema, who infused some experimental elements and forms, I have never fell in love with her films. She isn't an interesting person to listen to regarding film, and as a person I've never really liked listening to her interviews. Essentially, not really worth watching unless you love her.

15. Dylan Brandsema's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Has the same ending as Rambo 4.

16. saitosouta's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Sadly, Chantal Akerman left us behind. I'm always impressed w/ her work like intimate "Je, tu, il, elle," sublime "La folie Almayer" & ofc devastatingly superb "Jeanne Dielman." So I can't cope with this painful loss(& can't see her last movie yet) but this movie's last sequence retells my sadness as my hope, her death as new departure for another world which she or even we don't know. Au revoir, Chantal Akerman.

17. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

An excellent introduction to Akerman's cinematography

18. Jason's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

Kind of an apéritif. Appropriate, as I saw it screened, as perhaps it ideally should be, as an addendum to a screening of No Home Movie. Not very many 20th century artists mean as much to me as Akerman. To me she is the artist who best guided us out of modernist alienation and into the light of a new kind of playground. The best moments focus on her at work. There are also some wonderful moment w/ Aurore Clément.

19. batarde's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

I'm glad this has no mention of her suicide. It ends with Akerman alive, wandering through the desert.

20. Sarah E. Fonseca's rating of the film I Don't Belong Anywhere: The Cinema of Chantal Akerman

While I wouldn't call it comprehensive by any means, this documentary is a great overview of Akerman's films, themes, and style. Certainly ideal for and accessible to newcomers to her work. As most footage of her captured within the past three years does, this film tragically foreshadows her suicide. Loved the interview with another of my favorite auteurs, Gus Van Sant.