1. lou.'s rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Frivolous as I am, I may only say that late '70s swimsuits are pretty cute.

2. mohit's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Very interesting portrait... a great way to learn how to make a narrative for young filmmakers.

3. João Miguel Queiroz's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Rosenblatt makes use of original images and good editing to portray a representative figure of hate. Lean, the film fulfills its role and provides an interesting look at Anita Bryant.

4. DrFirestone's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

The gay liberation movement, religion, homophobia... This might not sound like a recipe for a happy ending or does it? But, did I need a short film to establish this fact? Not really. I can only recommend watching it, if you need a refresher on the topic or you think you will find the history of Anita Bryant particularly enlightening.

5. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

The destruction of the bigots in just 10 minutes.

6. eric_t_bear's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Jay is a US national treasure.

7. msmichel's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

An early face of the American far right is given her just desserts in this short by Jay Rosenblatt. Her impact on the mobilization of a political LGBT community has had a more lasting effect than her hatred disguised as morality.

8. Tiba Hobus's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

good docu for such a shit humanbeing as a subject

9. Paul and Wade's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

At the very end of the film, Rosenblatt seems to give Bryant significant credit for advances made by the LGBT community since the 70s. There may be a small quantum of truth in this, since America clearly rejected her spiteful malevolence. But it is hard to forgive the self-righteous, arrogance with which, in her heyday, she wrecked lives and spread her hate-filled message.

10. dionysus67's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

One of Rosenblatt's best this is telling and revealing of the deep anchoring of bigotry in society. An enlightening short about a nearly tragicomic figure at the mercy of prejudiced assumptions about social and human relations.

11. Lee Donowitz's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

A really good short! An interesting (and somewhat disturbing) portrait of someone who didn't really seem to have any huge personal investment in her "cause" other than as the title suggests, wanting to be somebody.

12. LibertyCapz's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

"I just wanted to be somebody", and so you became. Perhaps not quite who, what, or how you expected, but somebody nevertheless. Life rarely turns out the way we expect it to, and that's partly what makes it so exciting. "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get."

13. dreamseed's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

It is remarkable how Rosenblatt can take a topical subject and strip it bare of its politics, makes us look at it at the individual human level.

14. Étrange's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

A well made take on a story that, unfortunately, has not lost pertinence. But a one-sided due to its choice of imagery. The complexity of Anita is not fully grasped, and some (forced?) sympathy for the subject is lacking. But the testimony at the end brings the movie together, as it expresses undertones of what this woman represented and brings the other side of the barricade to the spot besides her.

15. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Bet she was a closet lesbian, but I hope not. I don't want her on my team.

16. captainfez's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

I Don't Hate Anyone (EXCEPT THE GAYS): an abbreviated documentary.

17. guillermo's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

Nice documentary about the sad combination of hate and stupidity. I think that Rosenblatt often does remember us a clear-cut idea that emerges from a noisy environment.

18. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

19. shelbywelldone's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

history's most iconic pie to the face

20. Dogville59's rating of the film I Just Wanted to Be Somebody

In just ten minutes Jay Rosenblatt shows the viewer how hatred can destroy the hater even more than the target of their hate.