1. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

While working in a lower key than his more groundbreaking television productions, Fassbinder's personal semi-autobiographical social-realist parable about a young man's desperate attempt to buy love & acceptance (compelling him towards self-destruction) is quietly audacious. The narrative as confessional, with its complex memory within memory structure, is still way ahead of what most TV auteurs are attempting today.

2. Ethan's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

This is an interesting little thriller from Fassbinder that is chock full of tension.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

Peter a qui personne n'a jamais réellement témoigné d'affection, essaie d'acheter l'attention et l'amour de son entourage. Il construit une maison pour ses parents, gâte sa femme et l'installe dans leur appartement. Il a bien du mal à payer ses traites et, une fois licencié, il tue apparemment sans raison le propriétaire d'un bar qui ressemble à son père... Fassbinder et la haine de la famille www.cinefiches.com

4. Diderot's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

A simple, understated movie about the terror of existence in modern society, where the oppression of daily life comes both from without and within. Your faux bourgeois nightmare is as much your own fault as it is the fault of the society in which you live.

5. "O" Luís Miranda's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

6. Nom de plume's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

"Das Geld kam am nächsten Tag. Grusslos. Fast wie eine Beleidigung"

7. Karina Castro's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

Ecco il tumore che ci portiamo dentro… in alcune persone questo è maligno, n'altre benigno. Alcuni hanno la nozione della sua presenza, alcuni lo curano, altri non riescono, altri si conformano… e così via...

8. Ian Loreños's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

This film reminds of Legendary Filipino director, Lino Brocka's "Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag". The social commentary on both films are very striking.

9. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

adorable to a point - when it becomes hopeless -- the first fassbinder film i can recommend.

10. Matthew Martens's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

Death on the installment plan. Zeplichal bears an uncanny resemblance, unless I'm imagining things, to the young RWF, and despite the radically different milieus of film and construction (perhaps not so radically different after all) it's easy to discern sympathetic parallels between the director and his protagonist, each as diligent as he is profligate, as talented as he is doomed, and as lost as he is in love

11. Neither/Nor's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

Melodrama of the castrated lumpenproletariat, the violent refusal of domination by the arbitrary destruction of expectation and usefulness; Fassbinder's scrupulous organization of what remains of an individual once their potential has been lost in the fractures of Lacanian and Marxist power structures. There is interest even on the cost of self-preservation.

12. dana danger's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

a capitalism-induced, anxiety-producing (in the audience) nervous breakdown. made me worry about my own finances. plus, some really great use of mirrors.

13. vincentbergerond@gmail.com's rating of the film I Only Want You to Love Me

Strange that this one is not on DVD yet. It may not be really representative of his often much more provocative cinema, but it dates better than most of his movies. The political context is mostly put aside and the story is a timeless middle class portrait. Fassbinder is really clever at identifying social details and main interests of middle class people, that soon take over, leaving them with nothing to live.