1. jananonloso's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Ironical, cynical and fairy-tale like ideas for visuals.

2. Michael Diers's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Sehr kurzweilige und humorvolle, manchmal etwas zu sehr in den Slapstik abgleitende Darstellung der Tschechei von den 20ern bis zu den 50ern des letzten Jahrhunderts. Sogar die Nazizeit wurde humorvoll-nachdenklich und ohne erhobenen Finger behandelt. Die Gesamtdarstellung des Films erinnerte mich übrigens oft an die damals dort gedrehten Kinder- und Märchenfilme, die ich als Kind im TV gesehen habe.

3. Caramel Cookie's rating of the film I Served the King of England

One thing is certain: Menzel loves boobs.

4. elbehnon's rating of the film I Served the King of England

It's offending that you offer only a dubbed version. Nur in deutscher Synchronisation verfuegbar -- das ist unter eurer Wuerde!

5. AVA's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Phantastisch phantasievoll,makaber.

6. NIL1's rating of the film I Served the King of England

7. FISCHER's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Comment un simple garçon de café est devenu millionnaire, puis déchu de sa richesse et de ses honneurs, s'est retrouvé en prison pour quinze longues et pénibles années de détention et toujours ce gracieux humour de Jiri Menzel ! www.cinefiches.com

8. anarresti's rating of the film I Served the King of England

It was the first time I remember seeing the lead character being a anti-hero that makes an incredible bad choice: he is a collaborationist during the nazi regime. The screenplay is able to make humour in which the nazis are not made fun by exagerating their bad character, violence, or other villain traits, which is usually the correct way to make humour. Instead, it plays with arian clichés and myths, brilliantly.

9. ninjacabeza's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Muy absurdamente divertida

10. Marta Donati's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Some hilarious scenes and stylistic perfection. So very neat. Sometimes it feels slightly voyeuristic and sexist in the first part, but this fades near the end.

11. fedigno's rating of the film I Served the King of England

12. tintinmugshot's rating of the film I Served the King of England

This movie teases me to drink an Urquell pilsner.

13. Mr. Dude_o_o's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Women are only sex objects?

14. tonykaspar's rating of the film I Served the King of England

15. Ergun Kocabıyık's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Enteresan bir mizah anlayışı var.

16. geiar's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Delightful.Goes through the tragedies of history with a smile.

17. msmichel's rating of the film I Served the King of England

In 2006 Jiri Menzel added another strong entry to his body of work with this tongue in cheek story of a Czech looking back on his youth and his experiences through WWII which eventually led him to imprisonment. A study of manners, greed, selfishness and the political winds of change. Ranks amongst Menzel's best ( 'Closely Watched Trains', 'My Sweet Little Villiage', 'Larks on a String').

18. Prabodh's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Funny light yet touching story and beautifully crafted.

19. Ezra Winton's rating of the film I Served the King of England

20. ArmandS's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Lighthearted, and yes, erotic as only (and usually) a European film can be, but also casually funny. And yet poignant also, in small and subtle ways. Smoothly directed by Menzel.

21. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film I Served the King of England

A witty comedy with a cynic approach on the most important issues for men: money, power and young women. The storytelling jokes on human condition, capitalism, nazism as well as the life of the main character which is portrayed as a series of situation frames.The openness on so sensitive issues brought some sarcasm to the narrative. The cinematography deserves to be quoted due to the amazing scenarios it produced.

22. mao_tse_tung's rating of the film I Served the King of England

this is how Wes Anderson movies should be like

23. DVC's rating of the film I Served the King of England

Muy recomendable. Los avatares y vicisitudes de un personaje entrañable, con la ocupación de Checoslovaquia por Hitler de fondo, que combina audacia, humor, profundidad, elegancia, ternura...

24. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film I Served the King of England

A sickly sweet, but sometimes amusing nostagia trip.