1. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

2.5, most likely. Fuller's debut is more wacky than you'd expect. Thanks to some subdued interiors and a lingering sense of the unsaid, it feels much more like a melodrama than you'd expect. The "unsaid" here being an intensely homoerotic relationship to which Fuller applies a keen Freudian dreamwork, mixes in an archetype, and calls it a day. He should be proud, but I can't pretend it's the most watchable thing.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

I watch Sam Fuller films for the crazy and... nope!

3. Warren Spratley's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

What are the ramifications of compromising one's moral framework? Is redemption possible when the boundaries of moral consciousness have been trespassed? These questions haunt Fuller's first feature, but in a manner that is altogether astounding. Public opinion--the press, one's milieu--is intricately intertwined in these matters. Elongated gestures & physiognomic changes: Robert Ford failing to transcend the void.

4. María F. Guerrero's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Melodramatic and entertaining. I, at least, had a good time seeing it. Mostly because of John Ireland.

5. Dalibor's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Underrated piece of both storytelling and filming. As a voyage through one's unfolding regret, the plot is an elaborate tragedy, cleverly flirting with western genre. As for directing, shooting reenactment scene alone puts it above the contemporary stuff. Especially those made out of peanuts for budget.

6. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Mitad western, mitad melodrama. Fuller debuta con un filme sobre el sueño americano y el pasado que condena y golpea para frustrarlo.

7. Stephen Ainscough's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

8. Ethan's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Samuel Fuller just had a talent for telling a harsh story and making the characters sympathetic, and this is particularly evident in this well-crafted first film.

9. REH1101's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

A great example of Fuller's dynamic and natural story-telling ability, however this film is far more lucid than the bugged-out (and more memorable) stuff he'd go on to direct. The entire Eclipse box set is just him getting his feet wet. Still, this one offers a lot to consider for an 81-minute B-western. Recommended for fans of the man, but not for those who have yet to see the more notable titles in his oeuvre.

10. Tony Pauletto's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Something I've noticed about Samuel Fuller's films, at least those I've seen, is that they're consistently uneven; half brilliant, half lousy. And there's something enchanting about that, even here in his first feature.

11. Joshua Robert Hathaway's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Great idea, poorly executed. The direction of film was stilted and each scene seemed forced and overacted. Although, the film represented a romantic resemblance of the west, the viewer is constantly bombarded with "western" cliches and scenes that just last too long to get the point across. A fun movie but doesn't hold up as a whole.

12. Arshi Rai's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

awsome film, the complexities are never knocked over our heads, but we feel them bubbling under the surface. really great old school psychological story of regret and lost love.

13. Josef K.'s rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Oddly, this being his first film, it felt much larger than Steel Helmet. good flick!

14. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Sam Fuller's feature directorial debut is as much a Freudian psych-drama as it is a B-movie western. The simplistic plot is none-too-subtle and melodramatic - but the broad strokes run deep. Strong performances with undeniable suspense and tension. Fuller would go on to make better films, but his trademark hard-hitting style is in full form in this early effort.

15. J W's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Fantastic. It's Shakespearean tragedy, pure and simple. Really holds up too. Not the first Fuller I've seen, but certainly makes me want to go back and explore his ouvre...

16. jarrod whaley's rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

In it's setting, it's a Western--but by every real measure, it's a simple melodrama. In other words, it's what used to be called a "woman's picture," but one which is dressed in a man's clothes. It's a pretty savvy bit of marketing, that. Not a great movie, but by no means a bad one.

17. L.A.™'s rating of the film I Shot Jesse James

Not the most accurate depiction of Bob Ford but Fuller shows us new ways of telling a western tale. Plus Ireland's performance as Bob is perfect. A classic western with great western dialogue!