1. Meghan Perry's rating of the film I Smile Back

Sarah Silverman's raw performance as a drug addled mother coming undone is what holds this movie together. It is a brief look at how addiction and mental illness can destroy an individual and their family. It's short runtime allows for only a shallow dissection of Silverman's character. But her surprising yet genuine acting, very different fro her usual roles, is the true achievement.

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film I Smile Back

3. temmuz's rating of the film I Smile Back

4. Diderot's rating of the film I Smile Back

A good performance by Silverman in a narrative that could be more developed but remains compelling for being uncompromising with respect to its protagonist's despair.

5. Lutka's rating of the film I Smile Back

Great performance of main actress in somehow lazy scriptwriting (and filmmaking). A lot of emotions coming from character wasted because of it.

6. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film I Smile Back

The MUBI description "all is not right in suburbia" makes this sound more conventional than it is, and in the wrong ways. But the ways in which it's not.... Well, there are no "new" stories under the sun, and this one is less new than most. The filmmaking is much too timid. But when it bares itself and gives itself space, you see traces -- small, shattering, complex hints -- of A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

7. vordven's rating of the film I Smile Back

8. Justwibi's rating of the film I Smile Back

strong performance by Silverman in a weak screenplay and character. tsk

9. msmichel's rating of the film I Smile Back

Salky's second feature benefits from a career best performance by Sarah Silverman and strong visual appeal. Where it lacks is in the scripting which offers nothing in terms of originality or novelty. Silverman excels as a dissatisfied wife/mother lost in a haze of self abuse and Josh Charles is equally affecting as the husband valiantly trying to cope. Worth a watch.

10. Scott Lucas's rating of the film I Smile Back

Sarah Silverman makes this work in a way that this kind of movie rarely does.

11. Leroy Martin's rating of the film I Smile Back

sarah silverman is really good but the movie isn't

12. Joe Hackman's rating of the film I Smile Back

Sarah Silverman is really good, but the drama isn't especially compelling or effective.

13. Rocco's rating of the film I Smile Back

Pedestrian filmmaking and a lack of focus mar this effort. Is it a film about depression or addiction? Choose one or both and blend them more effectively. The ending is a real gut-punch and Sarah Silverman is pretty stupendous, but these alone can't save this middling work.

14. dave gunn's rating of the film I Smile Back

Nothing special, but especially bleak.