1. FISCHER's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

>>> Jolie réussite dans le domaine du film noir américain, une prestation remarquable du toujours inquiétant Laird Cregar pour une oeuvre souvent ignorée ou méconnue... www.cinefiches.com

2. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

the heart and the hard case.

3. bulgrin's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

Great performance by Cregar and definitely a good one by Mature. Visually highly entertaining. Lots of odd camera angles, shadows and low key lighting.

4. Balthaz21's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

5. L'immoralistee's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

6. Aaken's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

Curious film noir dominated by Laird Cregar's quasi-Shakespearian performance. An obsessed and sadistic police inspector, a framed man, a beautiful blonde, a nightclub... All the noir elements are there. Humberstone's only venture in the genre, but a masterful strike. Nobody wakes up screaming in this film, and it is nice to see Grabble in a different type of roles. Just weird to hear Over the Rainbow in the score...

7. matelot's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

This film anticipates themes, situations and narrative/stylistic choices of the classic noir

8. Log Lady's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

Nothing spells out love quite so much as sawing your lover out of his handcuffs while Somewhere Over the Rainbow is playing in the background. Average noir in many regards, but the snappy dialogue, fairly interesting characters, Laird Cregar, and solid directing all make this worthwhile to check out. Too much on the romantic side for my taste, but the balance between romance and noir also works surprisingly well.

9. Michael Harbour's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

A director out of his element made a movie that became a noir touch stone. The tension between romantic comedy (which director Humberstone was experienced with) and noir (which he was assigned to direct here) leave the audience a little off-balance and a bit uncertain what to expect; which mostly works to good effect. Some great noir images were created. Elisha Cooke, Jr. http://letterboxd.com/mharbour/films/diary/

10. Juliette D's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

The very first film I'd seen with Carole Landis-- pretty enjoyable. Started out a bit like a noir Pygmalion meets a blonde Laura, then switched pretty quickly to something all its own.

11. Dave's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

Laird Cregar is as menacing as his name makes him sound like he should be. The early interrogation scenes are the epitome of noir lighting and atmosphere. Definitely underrated.

12. oldfilmsflicker's rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

superb and underrated little noir

13. Daniel S.'s rating of the film I Wake Up Screaming

***1/2. One of the sixteen movies Laird Cregar played in. Laird Cregar was 27 years old and looked 40 when he played Ed Cornell in 'I Wake Up Screaming'. He died three years later. He was one of a kind actor and I miss him. Strongly recommended.