1. Bogdan Iancu's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Sadly, I think many people misunderstand this film. Yes, it does show the story of a troubled teenage prisoner in a penitentiary, but I see this film more as a youth's highly charged personal drama. And by "drama" I mean it in the real sense of the word: an examination of grisly and raw emotions.

2. Sprungler's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

This movie's extremely anti-climatic ending is probably the only element that makes it worth a rating at all.

3. crnstsc's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

4. Alex's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Didn't get to finish it, but I liked the feel. Great great possibilities!!

5. corycorycorycory's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

6. Landen Celano's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Romanian New Wave never ceases to impress. Subtle and a great balance of realism and poeticism. Plays more like a whisper than a whistle.

7. Ben Cannon's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

The tonal shift of the film from one of bleak naturalism to heightened drama feels written, where most of the other elements of the film are so plaintive as to rise to a level of expressive bleakness. The film returns to that tone at the end, which is welcome. Well acted, nicely shot, and quite far from bad.

8. Tyler Barton's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

I typically don't give movies 5 stars but Mubi doesn't allow a 4.5 rating and I figure this film deserves me rounding up to 5. I've only had a subscription to Mubi for a little over a month and this is, so far, my favorite film I've seen so far. I will be seeking out director Florin Serban's other films ASAP

9. Noodles85's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

10. charmtrap's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Nice performance from the lead, everyone else was fine but no stand-outs. The film started out pretty interesting, getting a chance to see what minimum-security in Romania is like, but it didn't add up to much in the end. Loads of long shots of characters staring off into the middle-distance, which felt more like padding the running time than the filmmakers revealing anything important about the characters.

11. David R Williams's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

This could have been so much better. Silviu"s place of incarceration is far more boys camp than state prison, his rage and hatred for his mother is little more than adolescent angst - cliched and laughable, and he comes across as a petulant bitch-ass in need of a severe beat-down. I have a feeling the real movie starts after the credits but this is the one I had to watch. Ada Condeescu is completely wasted.

12. jeremy foley's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

This was cool, great acting by the kid "I'll desstroy you" is a great line - also, I wanted to watch this because of the Title - best title I've heard in a very very long time.

13. Ebru Cayir's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Taking the life stolen from you, with a piece of glass, for an hour. Coffee with the girl who has beautiful lips. Was it worth it, or not?

14. sark's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Gut- wrenching! So far my favorite of the Romanian New Wave films that I've seen. Watching this felt like I got hit with a sledgehammer. As noted by others, I acknowledge the freedom/death political subtext, but it shines because the main character's love towards his younger brother reveals the resilience and self-sacrifice of what it truly takes to remain human despite all the wretchedness.

15. Mariel Green's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Interesting meditation on the death that exists within freedom. Best to be looked at in terms of Communism in Romania and Ceausescu's rule. The way the main characters speaks with his eyes and the way they are captured on film is amazing; minimalist dialogue well suited. Quite inspired to watch more Romanian New Wave cinema!

16. Sushii Mendochy's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

Great movie, you have to watch the whole thing, don't want to give any spoilers, but trust me its great ;)

17. noemi's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

how freedom can be tragic.

18. Teona Gal's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

if it ended a couple of minutes earlier would've liked it more

19. AdrianM.'s rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

best movie about "cocalari"

20. t.j. royal's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

21. Mary Ruppert's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

This movie incites the viewer to ponder its messages long after the last credits. Director Florin Serban's mastery here lies in his ability to create an intense yet visually stimulating atmosphere; the tension projected when few forceful words are combined with meaningful body language is remarkable. George Pistereanu's powerful interpretation of the role of Silviu is as charming and convincing as it is haunting.

22. Marco Minazzi's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

waiting to see If I Want To Whistle, I Whistle

23. Ioana's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle

A Romanian film has won again, this time the Silver Bear, i am looking forward to seeing this.

24. peaches and plums's rating of the film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle