1. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Il Boom

A funny and chilling movie that managed to feel real and then instantly feel like the world in Terry Gilliam's Brazil was overlapping this one, shadowing it in a parallel dimension. Then the shadow feelings would fade and I'd think it was just me, I was investing too much of my hatred for capitalism into it. Then, boom! it would flip again. Realist/Kafkaesque/Comedy.

2. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film Il Boom

3. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Il Boom

Really funny comedy with a tinge of horror/body horror. I've gotten both ends of De Sica's spectrum: the dulcet, depressing Neorealism of Bicycle Thieves, and this funnier take on economic troubles. Would watch again.

4. David Crandall's rating of the film Il Boom

I get a sense of Gene Wilder's future work in this...

5. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Il Boom

Having seen this soon after 'Mafioso' was perhaps not the best idea, as at first 'Il Boom' seemed to suffer by comparison. But considering it on its own terms, it is a witty satire/dark comedy in which we can easily see how the emphasis on money and material things as a measure of a person's self-worth can overwhelm both sophisticated logic (reason) and primal self-preservation (instinct). "You signed the contract!"

6. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Il Boom

A deceptive ‘comedy’ by the master of tragic and bittersweet Italian realism. Alberto Sordi romps through scenes of brightly lit opulent surfaces without shadows to the tune of bubbly music. Underneath is a narrative of self-deception and humiliation. The last scene with Sordi wearing woman’s shades and being marched to his doom reminded me of ‘Brazil’ with it’s comedic overlay over a plot of dark oppression.

7. Kevin's rating of the film Il Boom

I could not help thinking this movie influences Nanni Moretti. I could watch Italian cinema for hours. Even frenetic films like this. It is almost funny to think this same director films “Bicycle Thief”.

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Il Boom

Light comedy, not exactly a De Sica fulfilling project, but a nice watch. Restoration is pristine.

9. David R Williams's rating of the film Il Boom

Another film where until the finale you are laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all...and then the final moment and the laughter stops and you feel the crush of resigning to fate and the inevitable.

10. Richard Tines's rating of the film Il Boom

A slight, lite comedy (witness the jaunty soundtrack!) probably made by De Sica to finance his more serious undertakings...can there be a more blaring metaphor for classism and exploitation than a man selling a key part of himself to a "disfigured" richer man (shades of Lady Chatterley) to pay the bills?

11. Honeychurch's rating of the film Il Boom

apparently never released in the US until it's very limited art house run in 2017

12. angeldromero's rating of the film Il Boom

Sordi's performance is serious and funny in the best ways possible. Loved the way how the so called "economic miracles" are not a gift of God but a calculated sacrifice instead.

13. Aardsy's rating of the film Il Boom

14. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Il Boom

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Il Boom

Amère et dérangeante comédie grinçante transalpine qui bénéficia d'une sortie sur nos écrans qu'une cinquantaine d'années après sa réalisation, préfigurant avec un humour noir et une pertinence ubuesque, toutes les dérives et les énormités engendrées par un capitalisme émergeant, sournoisement dévastateur... www.cinefiches.com

16. alice's rating of the film Il Boom

La svolta feroce, grottesca dell'ignobile baratto (e quello che ne consegue, compresi l'opera di convincimento in ascensore e il corteo finale di camici bianchi) lo fa sembrare un film di Monicelli.

17. CafeGradiva's rating of the film Il Boom