1. Dalibor's rating of the film Images

Even if you don't find this to be a successful, or intriguing at least, delve into dementia via sore conscience of its female protagonist (and you might, with solid arguments at that), seen from an academic standpoint, a work meticulously based on some many obvious influences that still comes out fresh and authentic is a showcase of director's capability.

2. Andy King's rating of the film Images

It's clear that they actually researched schizophrenia while making the film (although not enough to know that schizophrenics are rarely violent).Even though it's such a common horror trope,I actually felt disjointed and lost in the eerie atmosphere.I loved the odd mental narrative referencing the events as they were happening but always a tad 'off'.Really liked the scene with the photograph which forms into a girl.

3. kartina obskura's rating of the film Images

4. Jason's rating of the film Images

You could prime the initiate for IMAGES by telling them it's, like, totally Joseph Losey's REPULSION. You should also tell this person that like w/ some Losey, some Resnais, and much Nick Roeg, IMAGES finds a master filmmaker practically doing straight-up epistemology / ontology. This is prismatic horror of phenomenological missarrangement, the puzzle gone haywire. Everybody knows Altman smoked good shit.

5. Cartaphilus's rating of the film Images

6. Jorge Lucas.'s rating of the film Images

7. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Images

Maybe Altman’s most underrated film. Would be a great double feature with Polanski’s Repulsion

8. JulesAteJim's rating of the film Images

9. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Images

This and 'That Cold Day in the Park' have a fair amount in common with the general claustrophobic atmosphere and mental illness. I suppose it could be prosopagnosia. About halfway in I was ready for her to boil the bunny, but it just kept going!

10. Ghostman's rating of the film Images

One of Altman's best & most under-seen films. His only out & out 'horror' film and one of the few he wrote himself. It is one of the most cinematic depictions of schizophrenia in film and it, as others have said, serves as a precursor to Altman's 3 Women. Very well acted by Susannah York & Rene Auberjonois and superbly shot by Vilmos Zsigmond. A very disturbing watch.

11. tannertanner's rating of the film Images

Similar to 3 Women (1977). Polanski/Bergman influence.

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Images

Oeuvre sourde et tumultueuse, noire et désespérée, un grand moment de cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

13. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film Images

14. Z's rating of the film Images

Susannah York is never less than credible, throwing herself into a very challenging role with courageous and committed abandon. Altman collaborates with York to create an unnerving portrait of mental illness which has never been equaled, but has been endlessly ripped off by lesser directors (Ron Howard). The film is in total sympathy with it's mentally unraveling protagonist as she makes her sad flight into madness.

15. mubianer's rating of the film Images

This is like Persona taken to an extreme. Even though I wasn't around at the time it seems a little dated.

16. Balthaz21's rating of the film Images

17. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Images

18. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Images

Yes, I see Bergman and Polanski in this masterpiece but it's truly connected with Lynch too.

19. Diderot's rating of the film Images

An interesting early Altman film with a captivating performance by Susannah York. Precursor to Three Women.

20. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Images

One usually doesn't associate Robert Altman with the word "creepy" unless one has seen 3 Women (and one really should), but this schizoid nugget is the closest he came to full-on horror. He clearly had been absorbing Bergman and Japanese horror: the atmosphere is richly weird, playing now-you-see-me games with the camera that are sometimes sophisticated, sometimes a kind of arthouse camp. A worthwhile stepping stone.

21. A47's rating of the film Images

"Like I said, spaghetti without wine is like a ship without a rudder!" So much bizarro energy in this movie that fits with other great filmmakers-- Antonioni, Bergman, Roeg, Polanski... Not sure it ever becomes fully Altman, but still worth a watch. While usually a fan, seems like Altman's sound approach failed him here. Schizophrenia doesn't look like much fun to me... but being a writer does.

22. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Images

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2lu

23. pattiocleavis's rating of the film Images

24. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Images

A bit heavy handed of an approach to insanity via identity shifts, haunting apparitions, and doppelgänger, yet wildly addictive. There is something about the re-occurring image of wind chimes, as if the madness could lead these delicate instruments to explode at any second. The entire interior of the house, in a majestical landscape, resembles a log that's been halfway burned to a silky gray, a stage of aberration.