1. Ghostman's rating of the film Images

One of Altman's best & most under-seen films. His only out & out 'horror' film and one of the few he wrote himself. It is one of the most cinematic depictions of schizophrenia in film and it, as others have said, serves as a precursor to Altman's 3 Women. Very well acted by Susannah York & Rene Auberjonois and superbly shot by Vilmos Zsigmond. A very disturbing watch.

2. tannertanner's rating of the film Images

Similar to 3 Women (1977). Polanski/Bergman influence.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Images

Oeuvre sourde et tumultueuse, noire et désespérée, un grand moment de cinéma... www.cinefiches.com

4. Psycoteraphy's rating of the film Images

5. Z's rating of the film Images

Susannah York is never less than credible, throwing herself into a very challenging role with courageous and committed abandon. Altman collaborates with York to create an unnerving portrait of mental illness which has never been equaled, but has been endlessly ripped off by lesser directors (Ron Howard). The film is in total sympathy with it's mentally unraveling protagonist as she makes her sad flight into madness.

6. mubianer's rating of the film Images

This is like Persona taken to an extreme. Even though I wasn't around at the time it seems a little dated.

7. Balthaz21's rating of the film Images

8. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Images

9. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Images

Yes, I see Bergman and Polanski in this masterpiece but it's truly connected with Lynch too.

10. Diderot's rating of the film Images

An interesting early Altman film with a captivating performance by Susannah York. Precursor to Three Women.

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Images

One usually doesn't associate Robert Altman with the word "creepy" unless one has seen 3 Women (and one really should), but this schizoid nugget is the closest he came to full-on horror. He clearly had been absorbing Bergman and Japanese horror: the atmosphere is richly weird, playing now-you-see-me games with the camera that are sometimes sophisticated, sometimes a kind of arthouse camp. A worthwhile stepping stone.

12. A47's rating of the film Images

"Like I said, spaghetti without wine is like a ship without a rudder!" So much bizarro energy in this movie that fits with other great filmmakers-- Antonioni, Bergman, Roeg, Polanski... Not sure it ever becomes fully Altman, but still worth a watch. While usually a fan, seems like Altman's sound approach failed him here. Schizophrenia doesn't look like much fun to me... but being a writer does.

13. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Images

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2lu

14. pattiocleavis's rating of the film Images

15. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Images

A bit heavy handed of an approach to insanity via identity shifts, haunting apparitions, and doppelgänger, yet wildly addictive. There is something about the re-occurring image of wind chimes, as if the madness could lead these delicate instruments to explode at any second. The entire interior of the house, in a majestical landscape, resembles a log that's been halfway burned to a silky gray, a stage of aberration.

16. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Images

really really really loved this. i also love the way susannah york says "yes"

17. Stevie's rating of the film Images

Haunting, surreal and an excellent companion film to the later 3 Women.

18. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Images

19. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Images

20. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Images

Not the best by Altman. His surreal narrative sometimes work, sometimes doesn't, and dialogues are dead, but "Images" has absolutely stunning cinematography, and here it really shows.

21. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Images

I'm not really fond of this kind of cinema, but this Images has really provocative scenes. I enjoy mischievous works, the ones you watch back and forth to discover clues. Definetely catchy.

22. DaisyJ's rating of the film Images

I love psychological dramas and this is one of the best. It's very subtle yet disturbing at the same time. It's better to watch this alone. I think Robert Altman's psychological movies (3 Women, That Cold Day in the Park, The Player, Come Back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean) are kind of underrated.

23. Osmar Domingos's rating of the film Images

I don't know why actually, but while seeing it I kept thinking about Von Trier's Antichrist and making some relations.

24. rulesofachia's rating of the film Images

Effective psychological horror which plays around with identities (notice how the characters' names are essentially names of the actors swapped around). You get the feeling of being plunged into a dark world where reality is inverted. York plays a schizophrenic well.