1. Nachtreich's rating of the film Imitation of Life

2. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Imitation of Life

A socially conscious melodrama w/ commentary on race and gender that features great performances from Lana Turner & Juanita Moore & glorious cinematography.There were scenes where the blocking,camera movement,editing and cinematography came together perfectly. But - some relationships were underdeveloped and that made certain plot points unbelievable. I also feel that Lora & Susie's story needed some resolution.

3. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Imitation of Life

You can watch the last five minutes of this notorious tearjerker without knowing anything about the story or characters and you will still bawl your eyes out. (This is not a suggestion. It is always essential that you see a movie from the beginning.)

4. Log Lady's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Women rule here. Fantastic performance from Kohner: that scene where she's crawling in the mud with her bright yellow dress... Wow. Not to mention the last scene, where I started bawling. Sirk handles the material about race relations (which, by the way, never gets old) gracefully and maturely despite the film having a mask of melodrama, overpowering the plot thread that deals with Turner's struggles.

5. Pedro Ramos's rating of the film Imitation of Life

interesting views on social and racial issues. a bit boring and shrill

6. Disa's rating of the film Imitation of Life

family, motherhood, ambition, race. this movie is the whole package.

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Quel splendide mélodrame ! www.cinefiches.com

8. Myles's rating of the film Imitation of Life

"How do you tell a child she was born to be hurt?" Holy shit, that unimpeachable woman... Sirk must've had his heart broken young. His movies always have a vixen around to spoil things when they seem most hopeful. Also of note: what a strange, kind of revolutionary ending for '59. To have Hollywood foot the bill on a lavish black funeral-- that's clout. Tempting to imagine what he could have done without censorship.

9. Aardsy's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Damn you, Sirk, I can't have these feelings.

10. Aida's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Something is holding me back from loving this completely.

11. EdieEmm's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Gah! Apparently there's a weak spot in my dry-eyed defensive cynicism, in the shape of Douglas Sirk. Beautiful, socially-conscious tearjerker. No longer anything we'd call subversive, but a commendable early stand against Hollywood whitewashing, and a notable, and risky, diverting of what would've been Lana Turner's screen time to the "secondary" race-focused plot. Also: Mahalia Jackson! Sirk = guilt-free dessert.

12. James Mackin's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Oh my goodness gracious me. Watching this film was kinda like doing a test to make sure I'm experiencing all types of emotions, because I experienced all types of emotions watching this.

13. revelintheview's rating of the film Imitation of Life

14. Maudealan's rating of the film Imitation of Life

The moments where you feel how much goes on that Lana Turner doesn't even imagine ("I didn't realize she knew so many people" or whatever the line is) and Juanita Moore make this movie, even if like at times the like "main story" can wear on you

15. Lucas Granero's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto y luego el mejor final posible que trae más llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto, llanto,Llanto, llanto, llanto...

16. Ajfunmi's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Very sad and heart felt movie, truth telling about cutural identy differences that still is still present in today's black community, recommended by my aunty.

17. L.F.G.'s rating of the film Imitation of Life

18. dianka's rating of the film Imitation of Life

19. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Imitation of Life

A femme epic that does not sacrifice its singular style for purposes of, I dunno, masculine boredom. Great blocking, editing. And some of the best cinematography of the 50's: sort of encapsulates the word "brooding." Lifts tricks from noir, expressionism, and erases the more sadomasochistic qualities of those genres - though many would say they were always melodrama.

20. miles's rating of the film Imitation of Life

21. Sơn Nguyễn's rating of the film Imitation of Life

I think the directing is very good but the story is same same.

22. El Biffo's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Superb. The template Sirk created was inspiration to R.W. Fassbinder, and now Todd Haynes. One can only wonder what Sirk would have produced had he not been working within the constraints of mid-century Hollywood, the Hays Code, and the stiff limitations that defined Hollywood "acting" in that era, and had he had the kind of actors and creative freedom given to Fassbinder and Haynes.

23. Robert Orlowski's rating of the film Imitation of Life

Re watch, 35mm, abosutely heart wrenching and contemporary, what every narrative American filmmaker should aspire to, if not ingest.

24. camille demers-lambert's rating of the film Imitation of Life