1. Léo Lebrun's rating of the film In Absentia

Tranche de vie d'une femme atteinte d'overwriting (contraction d'overdose et d'écriture) en phase terminale. A n'en pas déplaire à Antoine Boute.

2. Ludovic72's rating of the film In Absentia

Cette association entre Stockhausen et les frères Quay fonctionne à merveille. Les sonorités électroniques / expérimentales de l'Allemand créent une atmosphère de film d'horreur gothique, qui convient fort bien à l'animation décalée et inquiétante des Américains. La progression minutieuse des plans et les répétitions maniaques sont comme un plongeon dans le délire de cette femme "absente". Aussi terrible que beau.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film In Absentia

Rien de très remarquable ! www.cinefiches.com

4. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film In Absentia

Pas le plus intense des films des frères Quay à mon goût (bien que j'apprécie la tentative inachevée de voir passer un panda en arrière-plan).

5. RoRoRoro's rating of the film In Absentia

6. Ryan Swen's rating of the film In Absentia

Light does little to illuminate the world of the Brothers Quay.

7. aliasgenius's rating of the film In Absentia

8. HypnoticVisionaire's rating of the film In Absentia

Very well done & very mysterious. I need to buy these films from The Quay Brothers.

9. Jason Kim's rating of the film In Absentia

10. Will Thede's rating of the film In Absentia

I never thought I would find a few lead pencils and some grubby fingers so disturbing. CinemaScope complements the Brothers Quay.

11. Jeff Holland's rating of the film In Absentia

admittedly I found it a bit repetitive and static, but perhaps that's the point, as it was meant to depict mental illness. at any rate, the vivid tactile imagery was admirable, as was Stockhausen's droning, unsettling soundtrack.

12. Nick Potter's rating of the film In Absentia

The most haunting and breathtaking of the Quay shorts I've seen, and possibly the most effective music throughout as well. I was unable to look away.

13. Shawn Spitler's rating of the film In Absentia

Visually engaging. While I didn’t necessarily “get it” (although it reminded me quite a lot of “The Yellow Wallpaper”), I was at least emotionally engaged and always curious. Some of their animation had me wondering how they’d done it (animating tiny pencil shavings?).

14. David R Williams's rating of the film In Absentia

I kept thinking of "The Yellow Wallpaper". If madness were a place, this is what you would see outside your hotel window. This is what you would hear instead of the wind through the trees. Terrifying.

15. Samuel Wells's rating of the film In Absentia

In many ways this film are the brothers quay at their most obtuse. But it is also one of their most ambitious. The risk taking in this film translates into a meditative film that locked me into it and made me lose track of time. It had me keyed into the slight touches and flow better than any of their other films. I finds success where the others fall short. The design as a whole looked cleaner and more thoughtful.

16. Slappy McGee's rating of the film In Absentia

It's delightfully dark and devious. A bit melancholy as well as mysteriously troubled. These filmmakers revel in the darkness inside our minds. Their animation does a pretty solid job of showing us that odd netherworld lurking in our brains. It's pretty mesmerizing.

17. Wee Hunk's rating of the film In Absentia

How do you judge something that's so different from what has come before? I think that particularly with non-narrative film your most important concern is editing. How long should the piece be? How long should the scenes be? I always feel like I want to fix the editing in their films.

18. Landen Celano's rating of the film In Absentia

This one really got under my skin. Subversive. Perverse. Psychologically disturbing. (And sad.)

19. marco's rating of the film In Absentia

20. sekmadieniaislyja's rating of the film In Absentia

hypnotic ; this is how madness looks like

21. Silvia Bombardini's rating of the film In Absentia

Emma Hauch, Herzenschatzi Komm, you poor soul ♡. Quay: as steampunk as it gets.

22. Who told you this room exists?'s rating of the film In Absentia

23. Through A Glass, Darkly's rating of the film In Absentia

I think Stockhausen's music might be the reason I would chose this one over the other films by the Quay brothers...probably the best use of animation and sound on screen ever to convey a state madness.

24. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film In Absentia

Filmmaking at its most maddening, frightening, and oddly touching.