1. Mr.Rager's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Indeed a very good crime thriller, especially for those times.I liked the pace of the action and how things were developed.The story is well conceived and keeps the truth til the last seconds. The acting is more than ok, Sidney Poitier had some nice lines and his caracther is interesting and complex as well. This clasic movie was a perfect choice for a summer not so hot night. 8/10

2. DenoResandono's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

This is the first time I watched a movie from director Norman Jewison. IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT is thrilling, intense, complex, and exciting. Its social commentary or messages maybe looks dull. But I think it's still relevant until today. It's great to see the love/hate relationship between Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger. It combined the mystery and racial tension elements perfectly. IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT is great

3. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Love Steiger in this. Love Oates' facial expressions whenever he's proud of himself. Sydney unfortunately had not quite mastered the "method" and is often melodramatic. I liked the twist. You think it's this grand old boy white southern agriculture conspiracy but then.....? All started by another "proper" southern she devil ;) may be a veiled comment on emmit till....prob not. But beware those white southern women ;)

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

A great film, and a pinnacle of 60s Hollywood. One would go into this thinking it would be rather heavy handed, given most of Hollywood's attempts to address racial issues, but Jewison helms this rather subdued and layered film where a simple murder mystery holds the proceedings together. Beautifully shot by the great Wexler, and with great performances by Poitier, Steiger, and Grant, who steals every scene she's in.

5. Adam Whybray's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

I felt like I understood America better having watched it. Funnier than expected too, with an ace soundtrack. The lascivious "jailbait" character felt like a rather icky relic from the 60s though (and I say that as a man who once dated a 16-year-old - although at a younger age than any of the skeezy racists in this film, I will say!)

6. Nolan Barth's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

This film is one of the most important and iconic films of the 60s. In the Heat of the Night and the other 4 films nominated for Best Picture that year represent a dynamic shift in the Hollywood system. Both Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger deliver power house performances and when they are the screen together they are just dynamic. This is an incredible film that is unfortunately still relevant today.

7. the prince's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

The social message was right on - but it was too safe for my taste.

8. msmichel's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Best picture winner dates well with its then topical look at race relations, prejudice and changing American society framed within a murder investigation where the marginalized individual is the only one patient even to solve the case with justice. Performances are dynamite as is the cinematography of Haskell Wexler and the editing of Hal Ashby. Director Jewison adapted the novel/script with precision.

9. James Mackin's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

10. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Damn Sidney is so fucking cool. Shot by Haskell Wexler too.

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

12. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

13. smndvdcl's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

14. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Remarkable movie in all aspects: racism, xenophobia, stupidity, arrogance. Most remarkable scene is the "slapping scene" in which Sidney Poitier insisted on, although not part of the novel and neither the script. For me the real star is Rod Steiger. The movie is a benchmark. Unforgettable.

15. Marco Pierrard's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

- Well, just what do you know about insomnia ? - Bourbon can't cure it.

16. THE APOLL0's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Baldwin was right, has the romance of other Hollywood pictures without the literal goodbye kiss at the end.

17. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

I'm not gonna lie, I got to this movie through Hal Ashby, who's really great with his cutter here! When I saw Warren Oates I knew this would be some sweet stuff, and it is! Didn't age a lil' bit and has these scenes, which are really beautiful.

18. Te Pe's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

"They call me Mister Tibbs!"

19. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

This film remains essential viewing.

20. Knut Morte's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Great acting, wow the police and business are so corrupt. Gotta believe that the police which are supposed to serve individuals instead are guided by power or government and especially business.

21. pluviosity's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

nice, elegant piece. And the best slapping scene ever. :D

22. Andrés Baldíos's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

Historical context, a detailed portrait of racial issues (that mental illness), a dangerous humdrum-like southern atmosphere and the acting is what makes this standard murder mystery a very good film. I don't like AcademyAwards, but it's fun to discuss them once in a while. I think "Bonnie n' Clyde" should've won that year, this is not an Oscar movie at all. Still, a fine jewel, it keeps you so toughly engaged.

23. mjgildea's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night

In the Heat of the Night is some really powerful stuff. True, the story isn't much more than your standard murder mystery with some racial tension kicking it in the ass, but the setting as well as all the smarmy details make all the difference. Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger are fantastic together and are alone worth the watch even if Ray Charles' theme song & Quincy Jones' score are a little too hip & out of place.

24. CafeGradiva's rating of the film In the Heat of the Night