1. Lex Lucas's rating of the film In the White City

Tanner's expression doesn't reach the poetical value of this sailor's wandering in a lost city. Unoriginal in this kind of Antonioni's wandering (without the same rythm), it could have been beyond a doubt a masterpiece if it didn't fall into clichés and non-interessing actions and consequences that doesn't reveal anything.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film In the White City

Sur un scénario original très lâche, avec juste quelques vagues comptes rendus sporadiques et d'épisodiques prises de notes délimitant un tournage au jour le jour, Tanner nous livre une œuvre limpide et désenchantée qui brasse aussi bien une lancinante désespérance existentielle qu'une impulsive joir de vivre, sur fond d'errance et d'incertitude, entre suave légèreté et intime profondeur. www.cinefiches.com

3. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film In the White City

At the Montreal's cinémathèque. I barely remember the film Lol.

4. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film In the White City

Personal filmic diary of a lost character trying to escape his own life in the city. As in my previous discovery "la salamandre", this one develops a nice road-movie tendency. Less rebellious characters, more turned to love passions. A beautiful atmosphere of simplicity and sincerity.

5. Blumes's rating of the film In the White City

"People are weird, but that's life."

6. Daniel S.'s rating of the film In the White City

I wasn't hooked by this film. A lot too rational and intellectual for my taste and no poetry, Just think of what Herzog for instance could have done with such a screenplay and such a city. Already forgotten.

7. Samuel T.'s rating of the film In the White City

Smells like Malcolm Lowry. A wonderfully masochistic existential downward spiral of a lost soul, leading somewhere between an alcohol induced nightmare and fantasy. The Pieter Bruegel painting briefly seen in our sailor's wife's kitchen (also featured in Tarkovsky's SOLARIS and THE MIRROR as well as von Trier's MELANCHOLIA) is synopsis; a vaguely joyous scene but overall a bleak aftermath of an unsuccessful hunt.

8. Susana Bessa's rating of the film In the White City

A character driven story where Lisbon is the character you need to pay attention to and analyse, since the other characters presented to us are bewitched with its silence and solitude, therefore becoming the city themselves. An absolute pleasure!

9. mubianer's rating of the film In the White City

I love the scene in the bar where they are watching the '82 world cup.

10. afuchs's rating of the film In the White City

I love movies with a Cortázar connection. And this one is strong and explicit, too.

11. bennievermeer's rating of the film In the White City

Swiss director Alain Tanner's 'Dans la Ville Blanche' (1983) has a uniquely weightless atmosphere as it floats through Lisbon, the white city, in search of the limits of doing nothing, and "abolishing space and time". Read my full review: www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2012/03/25/dans-la-ville-blanche

12. chanandre's rating of the film In the White City

13. JFPISSIAS's rating of the film In the White City

14. Toto Giancaldo's rating of the film In the White City

- Votre horloge, là, elle tourne à l'envers - Non, c'est le monde qui tourne à l'envers - et si on mettait toutes les montres à l'envers, est-ce que le monde tournerait à l'endroit ?

15. alianat's rating of the film In the White City

quietly poetic, nice music score, mesmerizing film-within-film sequences.

16. Raven's rating of the film In the White City

We all wish we could vanish in some points in our lives. Being a dreamer and just existing. Society wouldn't permit it. Absolute freedom is not possible. What would it be like to experience the absence of everything? Fantastic film