1. paul_quixote's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Last few months I've been turning a random Inherent Vice scene on before bed, watch it as I drift off. Magnolia's final moment is important in PTA's ouevre, Reilly's voice obscured sonically by Mann's music & further distracted by image of Claudia experiencing, for the 1st time, happiness. Exploring this overload is the project of IV. I'm on board and the resulting inscrutable clarity is legit Pynchon-esque. Love it.

2. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Inherent Vice

3. Spook's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Anyone any ideas on why several characters are breaking the 4th wall? (I mean, they don't talk to the camera, but they do look straight into it for a couple of seconds)

4. lbunuel's rating of the film Inherent Vice

I admired this when I watched it, but it faded in my memory. I assume that what captivated me here was merely an attitude. That PTA, whose films are always in search of maximum effects, would conceive such a disjointed piece of filmmaking, a film that doesn't hold up in any degree. I consider now that it might be subversive, but only of a premeditated subversion, a publicity stunt.

5. ramiah's rating of the film Inherent Vice

i haven't finished this yet but i dont really care... it feels like it is 5 hours long... now the guy who plays the dea agent in weeds is on the screen. it's a pretty good movie.

6. Ramzi's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Very enjoyable, particularly Phoenix's expressive performance, but overall the film was a little too self-indulgent and the ending a little too flat. Hard to follow - clearly intentional, along the lines of The Big Lebowski, but this doesn't fully pull it off.

7. Adam GR's rating of the film Inherent Vice

I felt like PTA was reading me the pages of Pynchon. Katherine Waterston in a thankless role. Thank you for immortalizing Joanna Newsom in the celluloid of film, though. I like the tertiary casting: Chau, Pieterse, Jaeger.

8. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Inherent Vice

A scent of ALTMAN's "Long Goodbye" and a touch of COEN Bros comedy. Very good casting, but mayonnaise has hard to take. ==== Malgré un très bon casting la mayonnaise a dur à prendre.

9. Machupi's rating of the film Inherent Vice

LA, the 70's, Joaquin, what else ?

10. Paul Relf's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Hugely enjoyable but theres no longevity to it.

11. Uğur Atalay (superlandloper)'s rating of the film Inherent Vice

Saykodelik- postmodern Hiç bir-şey anlatmak istemediğini anlatmak isteyen bir film. Filmin sonunda başkalarının işine burnunuzu sokmayın gibi bir mesaj yok.

12. Andre's rating of the film Inherent Vice

The performances are all excellent (Phoenix and Brolin are perfect), and Anderson's ambition can't be faulted. But at two hours, what was an evocative, creative lark of a novel becomes lumbering, and for some strange reason, Anderson pulls back his shameless expressiveness, rendering the whole thing inert. Great moments exit, but the viewer's fatigue at the end is very real.

13. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Inherent Vice

14. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Inherent Vice

“Inherent Vice” has a hard time coming after two of the most critically lauded (at least in the cinephile spheres) American films from the 21st century from PTA. It’s hard to compare it to those unquestionable leaps of sheer ambition and raw, pure cinema, but it shouldn’t be so easily dismissed because of this. In it’s own way, it may stand on par with those two films, despite being lighter and less serious.

15. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Artículo (suplemento cultural "It's playtime"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/inherent-vice-paul-thomas-anderson/

16. Renton47's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Vice is psychedelic in the true sense, in the way few things are - constantly eliciting the possibility of greater meaning, swirling, hazily always out of grasp. Its politics might be stoned ramblings about "them" selling us the disease AND the cure, but who today can connect all the syndicates, nazis and spies. I must add this has some of the most miraculous lighting and colour I have ever seen on film

17. lou.'s rating of the film Inherent Vice

There must have been a point where I fell asleep. But sure, nice work Paul. Joaquin at his best.

18. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Inherent Vice

Really convoluted plot and slightly odd dialogue, I feel this is the kind of adaptation for the fans of the book

19. Didier Pigeon-Perreault's rating of the film Inherent Vice

20. Pedro Soares's rating of the film Inherent Vice

21. Nicolás Araya's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Thomas Anderson & Joaquin Phoenix, dupla de oro del cine actual. Versatilidad y carácter en una película que continúa implícitamente con el anterior film de ambos "The Master", el sueño americano podrido por las drogas duras, las fiestas y la paranoia de las sectas.

22. xrystyna's rating of the film Inherent Vice

23. weinbrandbabsi's rating of the film Inherent Vice

I know, I know it isn't fully Pynchon - but I'd go as far as saying this is as far as you can get to Pynchon w/o a stroke of avant-garde genius. And watching Phoenix gradually drifting into a more wasted self is just priceless. One of the goodies.

24. JCPJD's rating of the film Inherent Vice

Im'a give it a 5 because it belongs in the PTA cannon as proof the guy's ambitions know no limits. I read that people 'don't get the plot', which I think totally misses the mark. PTA creates atmospheres you can sit in and inhabit, often on a fairly small budget. Inherent Vice is a filmmaker stretching their scope in all kinds of new directions. I like spending time in this world - and that's the point (maybe?)