1. FISCHER's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Une transformation en noir et blanc, à l'étonnante alchimie du réalisateur, du film phare du célèbre metteur en scène Sergio Léone : "Le bon, la brute et le truand " www.cinefiches.com

2. Patrick Sheard's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

A film in which the editing room is a torture chamber - a fast draw to the studios that saw celluloid as confetti, and artistic prowess as a threat. A hero stripped bare and projected through a prismatic fissure of hallucinatory decay. 'A lonesome drifter wanders into town, armed only with his tripod and camera.'

3. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Slowly losing the track toward the end.

4. Kai-Erik Jensen's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Communicated its feelings and understanding of scopophilia very successfully, making near-death and flying bullets very visceral sensations. Beyond light and sound, these feelings became embodied. Not too long nor pretentious.

5. Sahand Mohajer's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

The apparatus of film and cinema take center stage. There are instances that this work feels intellectual while at other instances it feels highly experiential. I prefer this to Martin Arnold's work.

6. Loz Loory's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Thank god it's over. Reminded me of the projects students make when learning Premiere or Avid or Final Cut Pro. Everyone takes footage from a film and makes a video to show that they know how to apply video and audio effects. Someone uses footage from "Saw." I used a Squirrel Nut Zippers song. We screen these odes once and never watch them again, as they are only exercises. This too could have remained an exercise.

7. John Woodall's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

The first half, while necessary, dragged on quite a bit in an almost uninspired way. The second half was absolutely phenomenal. As a whole it was very enjoyable. While nearly incomprehensible at times, I still found many ideas and concepts that stuck out to me.

8. James Mackin's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

A fascinating experience. Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is reworked into a meta-text about the relationship between the protagonist and the filmmaker, as well as the spectator's role in that relationship.

9. Beatriz Rüegg's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Un tanto complejo apreciarlo si se tiene antecedentes de epilepsia. Es una historia corta que se entiende pero tal vez el uso de sonido repetitivo complica entender el cambio de escenas. /*yo no se de cine*/

10. EdieEmm's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

I like Tscherkassky fine. I've enjoyed his inquiries and extrapolations... But my god this is perfect. If Vertov provided cinema's Rosetta Stone, this is the realization of its cryptography, in poetry; its embodiment as philosophical event. Most exciting to me is that Schaefer's contribution is thus more integral than in their other collaborations, bringing sound to a theoretical forefront that it's too often denied.

11. Kamran's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Fascinating experiment in manipulating cinematic form. 83/100 - Great.

12. ua9stz's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Definitely instructions, not a film in a common sense. A good example of what the film is: raw thread of light, sound, the viewer and the meaning that arises between them.

13. delaluna67's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

A mesmerizing experience!

14. David R Williams's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those who will love this film and those who will not.

15. Diderot's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

I don't fully share Tscherkassky's interest in 'materiality', but I admire any image-obsession that's this voluptuous.

16. Jennifer Weeks's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

I feel like the film's title is the name of a document the director didn't bother reading. The whole thing felt broken and needlessly frenzied. In my opinion the message about Hollywood masculinity was conveyed in the first 2 minutes and the rest was just an exercise in discomfort.

17. Saranne Weekes's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Really loved the first half, fantastic editing, some amazing sequences. The second half didn't seem as groundbreaking, will watch again though for a better understanding of the piece as a whole.

18. Joe's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Wow, this blew my mind! Loved it! Totally new awesome discoveries like this or, for instance, L'Inhumane which I watched on it's last day are part of what I love about Mubi. Turning me on to new things, while also celebrating our favorites.

19. captainfez's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

20. muse_x's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Clenched teeth, honed squint, sand-blasted corneas. 'Tis this director who should've edited "The H8ful 8"

21. msmichel's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Tscherkassky's take on film genre conventions and the power of the image moves onto the western here with dazzling results. A touch overlong for its message, but even distorted Leone is still Leone.

22. Aube James's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Not sure if Dada or trolling.

23. Ekaterina Chernyaeva's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Here is a cowboy, a western cinematic metaphor for confidence and fearlessness, falling into a psychodrivern rabbit hole leading to not exactly wonderland but still full of weird and unknown. A quest brought by whims of the artist, a quest he didn't sign for in a first place while filming on set for something possibly entirely different. It's like by doing this the artist bullies the cowboy for being cocky.

24. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Instructions for a Light and Sound Machine

Another talentless hack taking somebody else's masterpiece, urinating on it, and calling it his own.