1. shane_b's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

2. bryanvmh's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Quickly establishes a particular tone, one that moves with Ennio Morricone's score between bitter satire, idiosyncratic comedy, and queasy-visceral thrills. "I am Power" "You are a child"

3. dionysus67's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Super-stylish dissection of institutional power coupled to standard psychoanalytical themes of sexual repression, low self-esteem and sadomasochism. In Petri's grotesque aesthetic an electrifying Volonté occupies in ferocious close-ups the screen, the latter replete with beautifully lit shots and semantically dense mise-en-scène. A radical subversion of the dialectics of power, including those of film.

4. rllr's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

A well-directed metaphor on the Italian political system and beyond. All that with a pinch of Dostojevsky's Crime & Punishment. Elio Petri keeps on surprising me.

5. Hayley&Colin's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

6. Alistair Leach's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

7. SonOfRambow's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

The greatest male performance I've ever seen in a film. And god what a genius story idea. This is the peak of acting.

8. danm's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

This film has so much going for it: 1) Columbo style over the top murder scene and flashbacks 2) Gian Maria Volonte (Ramon from fistful of dollars) playing hot headed shouty cop very well 3) Oppressive fascist political setting 4) Kick ass Ennio Morricone Definitely worth your time

9. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

10. stray kat's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Sometimes I don't have the words to describe my love of a movie, and sometimes I feel that I don't need them. It's the latter case with this film, a slick, brilliant, Italian police drama/thriller from 1970 that I am sure many other people have seen before now. But if you've somehow avoided it for as long as I did, make up for that ASAP.

12. Ally's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

An energetic imaginative construction which episodically draws on elements of the 1960s caper movie, the glamour lifestyle of the Bond genre, the police drama, the satire of institutional cruelty (“if...”), and the psychological drama, setting them against the background of Italy’s ongoing “Hot Autumn” contestation, and pulling them into a declamatory critique of authoritarianism.

13. Leah Shaw's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

14. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

And that Morricone score...

15. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

"Eh, si, siamo in America!". No, per fortuna no. Siamo in quell'Italia del Cinema bello, fatto di sceneggiature ricche, regie preziose ed attori che riempiono lo schermo. Una magnifica analisi del Potere, che nel tempo corrode e corrompe la persona, sia di chi lo possiede, sia di chi ne soffre l'ira o ne subisce il fascino, tant'è che giunge a ferire anche l'arrogante baldanza del Dottore. Autentico capolavoro.

16. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Absurdity folded in on absurdity, a psychological thriller which plays out one step removed from a crime drama. There was so much to enjoy and take-away from this film, from Morricone's one-note one-tune repeated ad nauseum, to Volontone's masterful turn as the fragile mastermind who thinks he's above it all. Sorrentino did not emerge in a vacuum, makes me hungry to see what else he's drawn on.*

17. FISCHER's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Une violente et acerbe charge contre la police et l'état. Superbe ! www.cinefiches.com

18. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

19. miles's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

this was an interesting one. Pretty good.

20. Ebru Yörükoğlu's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

"Whatever he may seem to us, he is yet a servant of the Law; that is, he belongs to the Law and as such is set beyond human judgment." - Kafka

21. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

Bold absurdist exploration of fascism and power relations. Even just a few years ago one might have distanced oneself from it as a period piece that captured a particular time and place. It's alarming to consider how its treatment of themes around the perversity of institutional corruption are as pertinent as ever. Like another commenter, I keep on thinking of the links between this film and American Psycho.

22. P Teddy Sawyer's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

23. T.h. Marvelsteins's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

What an incredible film! And so, so weird!! Helped enormously my Morricone's breathtakingly beautiful yet grotesque score. Volonte gives a hugely commanding and mesmeric performance. Rocambolesco!

24. Mark Stevenson's rating of the film Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

A brilliant score, great performances, and a timely restatement of the eternal question: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

← Previous 1 3 4