1. Mike Jempson's rating of the film Ishtar

This is pretty dire. It doesn't seem to be sure what it's trying to achieve. Hoffman & Beatty a very odd pairing. One or two amusing moments and only Isabelle Adjani manages to brighten up the screen. Ropey script, dodgy 'jokes', stumbling plot. Elaine May is far funnier than this effort.

2. Superfrog's rating of the film Ishtar

Is it a one star, is it a two star. This film between parody and real denunciation of political mechanisms fails in that it is simply not that funny. The blind camel scene is probably the best comedy, and the sexualised female character probably the weakest.

3. Nicolas Pierce's rating of the film Ishtar

Not a patch on A New Leaf, which has to be one of the funniest films ever made, but this is a perfectly watchable and occasionally inspired knockabout comedy, although it does depend on your tolerance for 80s zaniness being pretty high. Reminded me a bit of Tropic Thunder, both in its plot and the fact that the jokes sometimes get a little lost among the big-budget spectacle.

4. Zachariah Rigby's rating of the film Ishtar

Two old white men try to regain their youth with embarassing results. Coincidentally, also the plot of the film.

5. McOpinionated's rating of the film Ishtar

Remarkably fresh. The on-screen energy of the leads makes them very appealing. There are few so-bad-they're-good comedy routines I like. (eg French & Saunders or Flight of the Conchords.) These songs/performances are !! Some great lines and situations, & the camel is magnificent. Way up there with Pink Panther. Hard to give a movie this silly 4 stars but it is so much better than its reputation. Not non-PC enough.

6. mail's rating of the film Ishtar

Deeply stupid, overly long, politically incorrect, sexist, indulgent... and yet....

7. raggiodisole's rating of the film Ishtar

Silence revisionists! History judged this film well. Indulgent stinker

8. Pango's rating of the film Ishtar

I watched without knowing how bad its reputation was, and common..this film is fucking terrible, what are you on about??? Excruciatingly unfunny. Shouldn't be on Mubi.

9. S's rating of the film Ishtar

WTF Mubi? This is a terrible, terrible, terrible film.

10. Colin's rating of the film Ishtar

It’s a five or a one, so we give it three. Hilarious, but unintentionally so I think.

11. Omnibus1's rating of the film Ishtar

I just about remember the atrocious reviews for this film on its release. When considering just how many cinematic atrocities were released in the 80s, it's likely misogyny was behind the especially ferocious attacks on this funny and warm hearted film. Watch 'A New Leaf' to see how tragic it is that May's career was all but ended based on this minor misstep.

12. José Neves's rating of the film Ishtar

13. Matt's rating of the film Ishtar

I won't pretend this flick doesn't have pitfalls but it has enough genuine humor to be well worth watching more then once. While the film is trying to be a political-satire, it's at its weakest when it tries to be subversive; the best parts are the Bing/Hope-ish banter between the leads.

14. Blumes's rating of the film Ishtar

15. El Biffo's rating of the film Ishtar

Was this the inspiration for Dumb and Dumber? Unless you are fan of the idiot buddy movie genre, this is almost unwatchable. I love Elaine May but this is sad. The Wikipedia entry for this film is much more interesting than the film itself.

16. weinbrandbabsi's rating of the film Ishtar

Apparently this has been a flop, I really don't get why - this is probably the most beautifully weird mid-life-crisis-movie I've ever seen: two pals, both wonderfully played stumble through marocco ( consisting of cities and cars, not deserts and sheepherds), their ignorance and naivity confronted with the slingshot-lifestyle of the capitalist periphery - beats much cold-war stuff by length, just great entertainment

17. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Ishtar

"The PLO was bombing over there and a cruise ship had been taken hostage ...and then Elaine May was causing problems..." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/08/episode-26-subject-of-this-episode-is.html

18. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ishtar

I saw this movie long after all the bad reviews, and I was confused. It's a perfectly fine movie. I don't care about the budget. I don't care who is an egomaniac. I just hope future generations can see it in a less hostile environment. Hollywood is run by 4 year olds.

19. film_lies101's rating of the film Ishtar

Slow in some parts, but has a definite charm about it. Certainly doesn't deserve the 4.1 it currently has on imdb

20. eckhart's rating of the film Ishtar

Perhaps the most unfairly scrutinized film ever made. Glad to see filmmakers like Edgar Wright, Lena Dunham and Joe Swanberg support it.

21. Mike Spence's rating of the film Ishtar

While nowhere near as great as May's The Heartbreak Kid or Mikey and Nicky, this film is hilarious and more brilliantly satirical than Dr. Strangelove, If May simply stopped directing due to personal reasons, more power to her. If this underrated film killed her career behind the camera, shame on Hollywood, as usual.

22. tiago's rating of the film Ishtar

I'm baffled when Ishtar's failure is blamed on the script, structure or weak gags when it strikes me as a comedic masterpiece, very funny movie! It prefigures the brilliant political satire of Starship Troopers and the awkward social and body humor of something like Arrested Development! - maybe that's what made people so uneasy in 1987...

23. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Ishtar

Other than how much it cost and bias against movie star egos involved, the only other theory I got as to why people didn't dig it back than is American's weren't ready for "cringe comedy' played straight until 2000s TV comedies made it more accepted. It's not perfect or May's best film but it's got a lot good things going for it.

24. Tim Ran's rating of the film Ishtar

Not brilliant, but definitely underrated. The fact that Isabelle Adjani is in this film makes it automatically worth watching.