1. LifeofFiction's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

One of the great gems from pre-code era horror.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Un classique du cinéma fantastique avec une sublime interprétation de Charles Laughton ! www.cinefiches.com

3. Peter Tran's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Laughton is great, the mixture of horror and other emotions, and the short run time might this a tight little pre-Code film that shouldnt be missed. I must say I prefered Most Dangerous Game when it comes to films about islands where weird shit happens from the 30s, but this was a joy throughout. Great makeup for the time. Solid 4 stars

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

You can accomplish a lot with a bullwhip.

6. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

The first part of the film, the one set on the boat with the creeping dread and the strangeness that exudes from the setting and the images is actually pretty awesome. And the jungle sets on the island help to perpetuate that feeling as the film goes on. But Bela Lugosi is a shit actor and it all just becomes too predictable. Charles Laughton is fun though.

7. Eric Ortiz García's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

8. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Darwin misunderstood. Highly recommended.

9. James Roth's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

2.5. Although there were good moments which were often quite creepy and tense, the overall feel was quite clumsy and a bit of music wouldn't have gone a miss.

10. film_lies101's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

11. ZYNAB's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

the ultimate colonial allegory

12. Matthew Horvath's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

This is a nifty little flick! My favorite of the '30's Mad Scientists extravaganzas. Some pretty daring stuff in this movie. Charles Laughton dominates every scene he's in and the various make-ups on his Beast-Men are state-of-the-art. I have no idea how the same director of this classic became the guy that directed those cheesy low-budget Frankenstein sequels in the '40's! (Lota the Panther-Girl...Mrroooww!)

13. Chuck Vollers's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

It goes without saying the best of the Moreau adaptations. (Although I am keen to see Pam Grier as the Panther Woman.) For my tastes, it could use more shots dedicated purely to atmosphere (and a score might be nice too) but still a classic.

14. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

The first and most fortunate adaptation of H.G. Wells' literary work. A brilliant Charles Laughton not only embodies the blindness and evil caused by hubris, but also humanizes his character.

15. Ademption's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

16. Dave's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

The unsettling atmosphere and Laughton's chilly performance are what stick out. I don't like it quite as much as other reviewers, but it's well worth seeking out.

17. Doctor Spaceman's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Very chilling. Being the squeamish type I am, this is probably as unsettling a horror movie can be while still being enjoyable.

18. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

"What is the law?" "Are we not men?" "Law no more." "He can die."

19. Sadhaka's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Revisiting this film almost 20 years later I find it even creepier. Charles Laughton is perfect as Dr. Moreau.

20. Westley's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

This one is pretty darn good. The classic novel by H.G. Wells (The Island of Dr. Moreau) will always be the best version of this story, but this movie is undoubtedly the best filmed adaptation of it. Charles Laughton is fantastic as the mad doctor. For science, indeed.

21. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

This movie is perfect. Just the right amount of fucked up as well as just the right amount of humanistic qualities. Charles Laughton is fantastic and at 70 minutes this film has no dull moments.

22. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Has all the elements necessary to make it a great horror film and puts it together in a little more than an hour. Great pre-code film, too bad it was banned and/or edited in it's time.

23. MarcH's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Nasty, unsentimental, and disturbing. The vivisection scene still haunts me. Thanks Criterion for rescuing one of the great horror films of the 30s from oblivion.

24. Roscoe's rating of the film Island of Lost Souls

Wildly enjoyable. Laughton's performance manages to hit all the right sinister notes with some great touches of comedy as well. There's still something transgressive about this movie, even after all these years. Few horror films are so upfront about their sexuality.