1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

One of Lewton's gems. The island setting, the battle between reason and faith, the angsty and cruel main character—this is essentially Bergman territory, just shot on the cheap on an RKO backlot and laced with some spooky faux-mythology. Boris Karloff gives a terrific performance with a complicated character. The problem is the second half, which pays not nearly enough attention to logic or causality.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

Lonely Planet steers me wrong again!

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

Another top notch Lewton thriller. The closing sequence is beautifully shot/paced, and the storyline of incorporating local legends/superstitions predates many films that retread the same ground. Not as good as Cat People or Walked With A Zombie, but this one should not be slept on. Essential viewing for Lewton fans.

4. filmcapsule's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

Not as gothic and moody as the best Lewton films, but it operates nicely within its chamber drama confines. Karloff gives much needed gravitas. While much of the film fails to reach the true creepiness of other Lewton gems, there's an eerie moment late involving a half-seen figure that seems to blend into the background that actually gave me goosebumps.

5. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

More creepy in implicit violence than in out-and-out scares. I love the horror sensibility developed by the Lewton gang.

6. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

Inferior a otras películas producidas por Val Lewton, pero no deja de tener esos referentes atractivos sobre la muerte y su relación con las creencias paganas. "La isla de los muertos" por encima de ser un filme sobre una plaga, esta trata sobre la locura contemplada desde lo mítico, lo existencial y lo personal, caso de Karloff, un "guardián" obsesionado capaz de digerir creencias ajenas a fin de sobre-proteger.

7. Seth's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

"In the back of his madness there was something simple...good. He wanted to protect us."

8. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

9. Dave's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

This one is routinely declared to be the lesser of Lewton's films, but I loved it. Sure, the action drags a little bit in comparison to other "horror thrillers" but that closing sequence is just shattering - beautifully shot and genuinely creepy. Personally, I never found the story to be drag as much as others complained about. One of the best horror-thrillers of the decade, in my opinion.

10. gojira's rating of the film Isle of the Dead

11. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Isle of the Dead

When Greek popular beliefs meet American rationality, the result could well be Mark Robson's ISLE OF THE DEAD. Septicemic plague, forced suicide, evil spirits and a pinch of Agatha Christie. Unanswerable. Masterpiece.