1. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

3. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

The tsar exhorts a crowd of shadows. People crouch, turn their back or bend when plotting. The rulers' kiss is matched by the image of goblets clashing in a toast. Marching armies form long, curved strokes in the long frame. Kurbsky's resentment grows under a twisted background of arrowed bodies. Skuratov's attentive eye becomes the eye of a mural Christ.

4. Y.'s rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

5. redux's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Ostentatiously refined visuals, but the 'terrible' (=terrific) bit remains unjustified. Same in part two.

6. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

7. Mohammad Aboomar's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

8. Morse's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Una hermosa historia filmada con maestría por un artista excepcional.

9. Leandro Querido's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Estilo teatral, exagerada. Una verdadera maravilla del cine soviético. Theatral style, exaggerated. A true wonder of soviet cinema.

10. ahermosilla's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

11. Luz Sabina's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Visualmente es una pasada.

12. Ricardo Corona M's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Increíble el sentimiento épico que esta película solo utilizando trucos de cámara e iluminación. Por fin entiendo porque Iván termina siendo en un futuro tan paranoico, con esa corte y sus intrigas cualquiera termina así.

13. Adriana's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Visualmente impecable, el uso de la iluminación, el juego de sombras, la simetría en las tomas, los gestos, el vestuario, las locaciones, en fin, muy buena!

14. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Wow, that usage of shadows and depth/size perspectives, amazing film.

15. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

16. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

The scene at the end, with the close-up on Ivan's head making it appear much larger than mob of commoners in the background. By far the best in the movie

17. msmichel's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Incredible imagery and filmmaking that many modern filmmakers would do well to study. Not a shot or edit is wasted in this tightly constructed exercise. An amazing potrayal of a man of power with no shortage of political alleghory. The duality of epic capture and use of extreme closeup and perspective shot masterful. Essential cinema from an essential director. Cherkasov mesmerizing in lead role.

18. POVERO STRACCI's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

I've seen this at the BFI KINO season. The portrayal of either Ivan himself, or of lust for power is astonishingly well put and articulated, as is the cinematography (the frequent shadows and photography). What do you expect from the Soviet genius?

19. Helmveld's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

And I thought Fellini and Parajanov had fantastic visions (they do) but this one and its sequel must've been of great importance to said masters.

20. Jugend21's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

21. Jugu Abraham's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

Prokofief's music at the end of Part I is so similar to Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra used by Kubrick deades later in "2001- A space odyssey." The sets, the projected shadows, and the camera work of Andrei Noskvin (interiors) and Eduard Tisse (exteriors) are just superb. The sets created by Iosif Shpinel are just awesome for 1944-5 global standards. The performances of all actors are memorable.

22. - Caltiki -'s rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

23. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I

It's massive, baroque, and bizarre. Sergei Eisenstein's epic re-telling of the life of Ivan the Terrible is certainly not an ordinary biopic. The entire thing is bathed in weird, gothic compositions and arranged like some kind of opera. All the acting is extremely stylized, but magnetic. However on a technical level it feels like a silent film with sound, and this was made in 1944, not what you'd expect from the era.

24. M. Hulot's rating of the film Ivan the Terrible, Part I