1. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

First Tarkovsky film seen. Beautiful photography and editing (particularly the transitions to and from the dream sequences), but the plot isn't engaging for me

2. Saaam's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

also watched The Killers (1956) : 3 out of 5 stars

3. Allison Rung's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Captivating photography, from hypnotic birch forests to a horse tasting apples on a beach. And I suggest: cinema's best expression of a revenge tragedy.

4. chaotic femme's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Superb. Thx to Tarkovsky's combined talents for art and poetry in film, we have here a WW II film unlike any other. In some ways the artificiality of the heavily aestheticised camera eye, so distinctive a component of Tarkovsky's style, can be seen as less than realistic.

5. bucharestaesthetics's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Synthesizes the war horrors during the WW2 period in Russia with the immensely powerful presence of the main character, a young boy named Ivan, which creates the context for a unique perspective on the war. The varied use of symbolism, shot composition and cinematography are spotless, while Nikolai Burlyayev delivers an impressive performance. Definitely one of the most notable feature film debuts in cinema history.

6. angeldromero's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Tarkovsky introducing a new language to all of us with his debut film, a new way of imagining and experiencing films. It doesn't get much better than this... I almost shed tears every 2 minutes because he kept delighting me with such overly-amazing cinematography.

7. Corrado Agnello's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

8. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

9. Trunfos's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

10. Beatriz Félix's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Brutal. Brilliant when it comes to the use of light and camera movements, even the transitions between the present time and Ivan's memories/dreams. And oh the music!! ~ As Tarkovsky I have a thing for water and reflections too and found myself most admired by these in here. Truly one of the most beautiful films I've seen in life

11. Superfrog's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A solid 5 for cinematography/photography but the story is somewhat weak. I really enjoyed the experience because of the former, the latter not getting in the way.

12. Tatami's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Nikolay Burlyaev is great as Ivan and there are beautiful individual moments. However the films feels a little rushed and disjointed, with parts never quite coming together into a meaningful whole. The subject matter makes it easy to appreciate the film, and perhaps overrate it. The weakest of his feature films. 7/10

13. spAce__'s rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

"If a well is really deep, you can see a star down there even in the middle of a sunny day."

14. Elena's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A movie that doesn't glorify war, so real and haunting

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Thank god for the freedoms given to Russian directors in the late 50's. That he would start off with such a magnificent film was partly due to those freedoms. This is such heartbreaking poetry.

16. film_frame's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

The first film I saw from Tarkovsky. As cliche as it sounds, it opened my eyes and made me see cinema in a totally different light, and made me realize the medium could accomplish great things. Tarkovsky invented a whole cinematic language that many have shot for ever since, but haven't even come close.

17. dordairobert's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

18. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Tarkovsky’s first masterpiece follows a boy growing up during war and his sad echoing dreams. Tarkovsky’s most accessible film with phenomenal opening and closing sequences.

19. Pater Ecstaticus's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Tarkovsky retrospective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMXTMTTNPg

20. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A Classic. Cinematography to die for. Great child perf.

21. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Oftentimes the Tarkovsy's obscurantism bothers me just a bit. With Ivan's Childhood however, I missed it dearly.

22. Lewis Taylor's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Songs of Innocence and Experience transmuted to the screen. Ivan's memories of a lost childhood, those warm, blurred, impressionistic images of children at play at the top and tail of the film, will stay with me forever.

23. Barrett.'s rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

This is my first of Tarkovsky, I knew what to expect but at times was still surprised and impressed. Visually it is spectacular as expected but some of the tracking shots are what surprised me, despite this being his first film over the hour mark, Ivan's childhood already looks like a master at work. If I had any reservations it would be that I wish the plot was slightly more engaging.

24. Maribou's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Heartbreaking story of a boy whose childhood is destroyed by the Second World War. The mud, swamp, birch forests and bombed-out villages of the front are stunningly photographed and the images, sense of place and of human loss linger long after the film has finished. The final scene is one of the most beautiful moments in cinema history and destroys me every time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7