1. Superfrog's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A solid 5 for cinematography/photography but the story is somewhat weak. I really enjoyed the experience because of the former, the latter not getting in the way.

2. Tatami's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Nikolay Burlyaev is great as Ivan and there are beautiful individual moments. However the films feels a little rushed and disjointed, with parts never quite coming together into a meaningful whole. The subject matter makes it easy to appreciate the film, and perhaps overrate it. The weakest of his feature films. 7/10

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

4. Fabiha's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

"If a well is really deep, you can see a star down there even in the middle of a sunny day."

5. Elena's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A movie that doesn't glorify war, so real and haunting

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Thank god for the freedoms given to Russian directors in the late 50's. That he would start off with such a magnificent film was partly due to those freedoms. This is such heartbreaking poetry.

7. abunchoffilms's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

The first film I saw from Tarkovsky. As cliche as it sounds, it opened my eyes and made me see cinema in a totally different light, and made me realize the medium could accomplish great things. Tarkovsky invented a whole cinematic language that many have shot for ever since, but haven't even come close.

8. dordairobert's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

9. Pater Ecstaticus's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Tarkovsky retrospective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMXTMTTNPg

10. Trailblazer, LLC.'s rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

A Classic. Cinematography to die for. Great child perf.

11. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Oftentimes the Tarkovsy's obscurantism bothers me just a bit. With Ivan's Childhood however, I missed it dearly.

12. Lewis Taylor's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Songs of Innocence and Experience transmuted to the screen. Ivan's memories of a lost childhood, those warm, blurred, impressionistic images of children at play at the top and tail of the film, will stay with me forever.

13. Barrett.'s rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

This is my first of Tarkovsky, I knew what to expect but at times was still surprised and impressed. Visually it is spectacular as expected but some of the tracking shots are what surprised me, despite this being his first film over the hour mark, Ivan's childhood already looks like a master at work. If I had any reservations it would be that I wish the plot was slightly more engaging.

14. Maribou's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Heartbreaking story of a boy whose childhood is destroyed by the Second World War. The mud, swamp, birch forests and bombed-out villages of the front are stunningly photographed and the images, sense of place and of human loss linger long after the film has finished. The final scene is one of the most beautiful moments in cinema history and destroys me every time.

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

Une oeuvre étonnante, baignée d'une troublante atmosphère d'intimisme et de réalisme proche de ce que l'on nomme parfois le néo-réalisme poétique soviétique... www.cinefiches.com

16. Yugosalvia Plath's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

21. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

8.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2Hy

22. Absentia's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

23. James Mackin's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood

I wasn't crazy about it, but all of the dream sequences and transitions to real life were all really stellar.

24. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Ivan's Childhood