1. FISCHER's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

Permanente et souveraine confrontation entre Eros et Thanatos, unis dans l'apothéose ensanglanté d'un signifiant shinju (terme nippon évoquant le double suicide des amants), cette oeuvre inclassable d'un Nagisa Oshima irascible et radical, déconstruit avec hargne, constance et bonheur le glorieux mythe japonais des yakusas. www.cinefiches.com

2. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

So absurd. So full of passionate dissidence. Oshima proving his voice was like that of no other. 4.5

3. Leti's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

4. meth_'s rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

but you don't understand–this girl is literally me

5. Ostermyers's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

"Beautiful summer, summer of love...She was my lover, now she's gone away too soon..."

6. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

7. Lumière's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

Another example of pure art, in cinema. The feel of this film is amazing. It feels empty and alone. It seems that no one besides the main 15 or so characters you meet live in that city. It's empty and Oshima utilizes silence a lot, other than the characters talking.

8. Trevs's rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

This seriously but not-literally blew me away. As if having some of the loveliest framing and lighting I've ever seen wasn't enough, its socially and politically charged narrative is constantly captivating, and takes some shocking turns.

9. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Japanese Summer: Double Suicide

The most Godardian thing I've seen from Oshima so far. There isn't much case in discussing the plot since the preconceived notions of the subject matter become evident rather early in the movie, but the film is as much about its one-sentence idea as to how interesting he can make it without degressing into self-consciousness, something he largely avoids thanks an engaging storytelling.