1. FISCHER's rating of the film Jean de Florette

Sympathique osmose entre paysage et personnages, fort bien rendue et filmée. www.cinefiches.com

2. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Jean de Florette

A powerful story of greed. With amazing cinematography, directing and 3 of the best actors in film history.

3. jkristianl's rating of the film Jean de Florette

scenes from a strife in the province

4. redux's rating of the film Jean de Florette

The typical acquires mythical resonances in this two-part country saga with Montand, Depardieu and Auteuil. Great stuff.

5. Ian Whaley's rating of the film Jean de Florette

Fabulous. Now, Mubi, I am looking forward to seeing Manon!

6. cakebear's rating of the film Jean de Florette

What I like most about this film, and Manon des sources, is that while it has merit as a film, for scenery, for acting, etc. it also has an extremely unique, interesting and devastating plot. Because of this, I think it's enjoyable without a need for analytical thought, and is also accessible to all.

7. pdenby's rating of the film Jean de Florette

If you ever get the chance to see this film then drop everything an watch. A young Gérard Depardieu at his best. I saw it many years ago, by accident, and I still recall images and scenes from the film.

8. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Jean de Florette

Breathtaking visual images, rural life and great music (inspired by Verdi). Better than the original.

9. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Jean de Florette

A deep, moving tragedy drawn from the bible's book of job. It reaches out as a lesson in cinema and in life

10. Mugino's rating of the film Jean de Florette

It's difficult to rate this on its own because it's the whole ("Florette" + "Manon") that makes this great. Soubeyran's twisted jealousy and hatred is palpable. Ugolin is a fool caught in the ugliness, cruelly but justly made to pay for his sins in the latter film. The story structure is essential and simple like a fable; the lessons are deep and true.