1. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Jigoku

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Jigoku

3. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Jigoku

it drags like crazy after the first act and its moral universe makes no sense, but I'll bump it from 2 to 3 stars for the flaying

4. James Mackin's rating of the film Jigoku

One of the most visually interesting Japanese movies I have ever seen. A real treat.

5. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Jigoku

'Jigoku'; a portrait of hell- one man's rendering, anyway. Nakagawa paved his road to hell with crisp color, crimson reds and emerald greens, deep blacks and pale whites. The characters of the film seem to be (ironically) illuminated by an angelic light, at times literally blinding to viewers, scenes transitioning without warning from pitch-black darkness to bright white light. This being said,...↓

6. cevausername's rating of the film Jigoku

7. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Jigoku

"I mean, there's a cautionary sensibility to it..." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/10/illusion-travels-by-streetcar-35.html

8. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Jigoku

If hell exists, hopefully it has comparable production values.

9. Ostermyers's rating of the film Jigoku

I can't believe this was made in 1960 ! a freakin mastperiece

10. wraithinlimbo's rating of the film Jigoku

There is obviously something to this film. It managed to keep me gripped throughout the whole trip. Nice frames and some interesting concepts. Bizarre.

11. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Jigoku

The hell sequence in this is something to see, no doubt, though I slightly prefer the long lead-up on the corporeal plane, with its creeping sense of inexorable doom and disorienting, New Wavey flourishes.

12. Gilson Jr's rating of the film Jigoku

13. Sai Abishek's rating of the film Jigoku

its scary but hilarious! special effects and lighting techniques are great. good watch on morality and sin.

14. Drunken Father Figure of Old's rating of the film Jigoku

For some reason, I can't disassociate this film from an unrelated nightmare I had months after seeing it where I had a terrible death/vomit/rotten tuna-fish taste in my mouth... I can't even look at screenshots without imagining the taste! What the heck?

15. jyan's rating of the film Jigoku

it's kinda disturbing when you're watching this and you imagine yourself suffering in the bottomless hell and stuff. truly is. the scene where Shiro meets Yukiko in the Sanzu River is utterly heartbreaking and beautiful. my doubts about this film turned to awe in the final third.

16. Rrreeeiiiddd's rating of the film Jigoku

Great effects and editing. Totally surreal and chic.

17. Daniela's rating of the film Jigoku

Crazy and definitely imperfect, but I loved it.

18. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Jigoku

The problem with Jigoku lies with its lack of narrative thrust. Japanese cinema of this era was divided so artistically and culturally that many films were hit and miss-there was not much of a middle ground. While the last third of Jigoku is visually stunning, and I love the depiction of the Buddhist hell, it was not very frightening because I did not care about the characters, nor was I given any reason to do so.

19. Valu2009's rating of the film Jigoku

psyched-hellic. and yes, everyone is bad.

20. Movie Blabber's rating of the film Jigoku

At first, a slow burn...and then WHAM, a disturbing sequence of Hell that is still spine tingling and disgusting today.

21. Prabs's rating of the film Jigoku

had its moments of brilliance but overall I found this film to be overtly pretentious for some reason. i dont remember much as this review should have been written 6 months ago when i saw the film, but that explains the situation. A good film is memorable, and this surely wasn't for me.

22. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Jigoku

The plot may be leaden with improbable coincidences, but it brims with a rich, bizarre atmosphere and striking psychedelic images - giving it a palpable dream/nightmare quality. A cult classic and a landmark of the horror genre.

23. Jorge's rating of the film Jigoku

Interesting concept. Mediocre excecution (including the acting). Truly haunting and amazing visuals. Considering the decade it was made in, this is some bravura stuff.

24. Justin Crowe's rating of the film Jigoku