1. Tibulle85's rating of the film Jigoku

(VUkekpar/leweb) On m'avait décrit ce film comme une curiosité, et Nakagawa comme le Mario Bava japonais, et je n'ai effectivement pas été déçu sur ces 2 points! Le film m'a fait penser à "Lisa et le diable" de Bava (en plus réussi néanmoins) pour sa narration assez expérimentale. S'il n'est pas inintéressant dans ses deux 1er 1/3, le film marque surtout pas sa dernière partie dans les enfers, esthétiquement réussie.

2. Ethan's rating of the film Jigoku

This is one intense and hypnotic film that plunges you right in the middle of Hell and never lets up. The imagery and sounds are so vivid that it practically jumps off of the screen.

3. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film Jigoku

4. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Jigoku

I'm being generous here because Hell is cool as hell. There's a sloppy datedness to the melodramatic front-end that undercuts any eerie, fable-style vibes Nakagawa may have been shooting for; it plays stilted. I felt like I was watching some kind of scared-straight video. At least half my rating is for the surreal, nightmarish hell sequences at the end. Takeaway: everyone is trying to kill you & everything's a sin.

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Jigoku

6. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Jigoku

A horror film riddled with dull melodrama and an insurmountable amount of characters and subplots, rendering it uncompelling, and often even unintentionally humorous. Even its literal descent into hell is bland, with uninteresting characters, and a silly undercurrent. Like many early Japanese films, it does have eye-popping photography, but this may be Criterion's worse horror release. Perhaps the remakes are better?

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Jigoku

8. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Jigoku

9. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Jigoku

it drags like crazy after the first act and its moral universe makes no sense, but I'll bump it from 2 to 3 stars for the flaying

10. James Mackin's rating of the film Jigoku

One of the most visually interesting Japanese movies I have ever seen. A real treat.

11. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Jigoku

'Jigoku'; a portrait of hell- one man's rendering, anyway. Nakagawa paved his road to hell with crisp color, crimson reds and emerald greens, deep blacks and pale whites. The characters of the film seem to be (ironically) illuminated by an angelic light, at times literally blinding to viewers, scenes transitioning without warning from pitch-black darkness to bright white light. This being said,...↓

12. crnstsc's rating of the film Jigoku

13. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Jigoku

"I mean, there's a cautionary sensibility to it..." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/10/illusion-travels-by-streetcar-35.html

14. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Jigoku

If hell exists, hopefully it has comparable production values.

15. Ostermyers's rating of the film Jigoku

I can't believe this was made in 1960 ! a freakin mastperiece

16. lylatfox's rating of the film Jigoku

There is obviously something to this film. It managed to keep me gripped throughout the whole trip. Nice frames and some interesting concepts. Bizarre.

17. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Jigoku

The hell sequence in this is something to see, no doubt, though I slightly prefer the long lead-up on the corporeal plane, with its creeping sense of inexorable doom and disorienting, New Wavey flourishes.

18. Gilson Jr's rating of the film Jigoku

19. Sai Abishek's rating of the film Jigoku

its scary but hilarious! special effects and lighting techniques are great. good watch on morality and sin.

20. Drunken Father Figure of Old's rating of the film Jigoku

For some reason, I can't disassociate this film from an unrelated nightmare I had months after seeing it where I had a terrible death/vomit/rotten tuna-fish taste in my mouth... I can't even look at screenshots without imagining the taste! What the heck?

21. jyan's rating of the film Jigoku

it's kinda disturbing when you're watching this and you imagine yourself suffering in the bottomless hell and stuff. truly is. the scene where Shiro meets Yukiko in the Sanzu River is utterly heartbreaking and beautiful. my doubts about this film turned to awe in the final third.

22. Rrreeeiiiddd's rating of the film Jigoku

Great effects and editing. Totally surreal and chic.

23. Daniela's rating of the film Jigoku

Crazy and definitely imperfect, but I loved it.

24. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Jigoku

The problem with Jigoku lies with its lack of narrative thrust. Japanese cinema of this era was divided so artistically and culturally that many films were hit and miss-there was not much of a middle ground. While the last third of Jigoku is visually stunning, and I love the depiction of the Buddhist hell, it was not very frightening because I did not care about the characters, nor was I given any reason to do so.