1. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Elaborated historical chronicle from a brilliant director. I'm more touched by what Bresson offered on the subject but this one is clearly valuable. Sandrine Bonnaire delivers a beautiful performance. Still in the top three as best films about this national hero.

2. Pipim's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

3. santiago alzate botero's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

4. 849025's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

5. andymoor's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Sandrine Bonnaire performs amazing in this ,,,though it was hard sometimes for me to suspend my belief and imagine she was joan of arc ...i kept thinking she was Sandrine ...

6. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Rivette renders an elegant and ravishing account, as exciting as the first Lord of the Rings movie hahah. Loved it! Can't wait to see Part II!

7. Dogville59's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Captivating detailed re-enactment of Joan of Arc's mission. This film brings to life the hardships involved and the immense abilities of Joan to be able to have done what she did.

8. msmichel's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Rivette followed up his masterful 'La Bele Noiseuse' with this epic length take on the Jeanne d'arc tale. Sandrine Bonnaire is quite earnest in the role with able support from the large cast and the cinematography by Lubtchansky is quite extraordinary but the amateurish staging of the battles sink the film in the later stages. The second entry is the more powerful of the two despite it's inferiority to Dreyer.

9. Jason's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Rivette: well suited to tell the story of a pious woman imprisoned, persecuted, and burned at the stake. The story of a pious woman bravely leading the French army to victory? This would not appear to be in his wheelhouse. He takes the outdoor community theater, late-Rossellini approach. An extremely materialist take. The bodies trump the spirit. And, once again, alas, Jeanne is portrayed by a woman of nearly thirty.

10. EdieEmm's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

I appreciate the attention to historical fact, Bonnaire's grounded portrayal of Jeanne, the rich, decadent umbers and ochres... Less so the weird interview-style plot device thing (was that supposed to be Brechtian?), the awkward low-budget battles, and the inevitable drag in a 3-hour film. Not a favourite, but well worth the watch.

11. ArmandS's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

Bonnaire is compelling as Joan, but the pace of the film is decidedly languid. It does, however, feel like it speaks some truth to the times and how life was at that particular time. And when Bonnaire speaks to one soldier about her connection to God, and he takes a surprised step back because he suddenly believes her, it's Bonnaire's speaking as Joan that makes us believe her too.

12. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

A really brisk 3 hours. This is one of Rivette's most engaging films!

13. Stevie's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

This is a fantastic vehicle for Bonnaire to show off her acting chops. Rivette's direction is flawless, filming both outdoors and indoors. I implore everyone to watch part 2 after watching part 1.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film Joan the Maiden, Part 1: The Battles

My second-favorite Joan of Arc film. Bonnaire is superb. If you can't guess what my favorite is, you need to take a film class...