1. Landen Celano's rating of the film Joan the Woman

While it lacks the visual flourishes of more sophisticated silent cinema, this film is still vastly ahead of its time in story structure, and theme. It sidesteps the a lot (but not all) of the melodrama of most of its peers, and instead opts for a story told in equal parts whimsy and passion.

2. El Biffo's rating of the film Joan the Woman

This is the kind of crap that gives Silent Cinema a bad reputation. And this is one of the many, many bad Joan of Arc films. There are a few great ones, like Theodore Dreyer's "Passion of Joan of Arc". DeMille's film making is dreadful and the Hollywood actors are awful. DeMille lowered the bar for a whole future of Hollywood garbage. Shockingly, the lead actress is obviously 34 years old; Joan of Arc was a teenager!

3. Jason's rating of the film Joan the Woman

The old story. "Peasant wench" turned lady messiah turned immolated witch. Joan remains my favorite human. I don't think of her as a martyr, because it is pretty clear she died for nothing save her own dignity. Demille sees it differently. He frames the thing in such a way as to suggest that we all die for our own sins, but Joan is w/ us in spirit. I like how political power is here associated w/ evil occult shit.