1. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Journey to Italy

2. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Journey to Italy

A tough one to get through, while the scenery of Italy was engrossing as a viewer I felt very distant from Italy compared to Rossellini's other films. And did not care for the Hollywood melodrama.

3. DenoResandono's rating of the film Journey to Italy

JOURNEY TO ITALY is director Roberto Rossellini's effort to combine neorealism with Hollywood romance movie. And I think - it's quite work. Mr. Rossellini has showed the reality of marriage. His approach is quite brave (in the 1950's). The true power of this movie is come from the chemistry between Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders. They perfectly fit as husband and wife. JOURNEY TO ITALY is a timeless classic!

4. dionysus67's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The perfect vehicle for Bergman's expressive talents, this journey to Italy's cultural heritage becomes simultaneously a quest for resporitualizing a modernity, vacant of meaning and of love. Moreover, the many inter- and intra-cultural prejudices and conflicts are subtly disclosed coupled to the angst of motherhood, the many faces of death and, ultimately, the weight of the past in a woman's life. Essential viewing!

5. Juliana Senra's rating of the film Journey to Italy

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Excellente et pertinente étude de la dramaturgie intime d'un couple coincé entre l'habitude et l'incommunicabilité, les deux ferments de la rupture... www.cinefiches.com

7. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Since the film is about things left unsaid, it can be forgiven for some meandering pace at times. Therefore, it's incredibly intelligent. A lot of such moments go unaccounted for by the end, and that's a strength.

8. Aardsy's rating of the film Journey to Italy

9. SpacePirate's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Good depiction of a crumbling marriage. Reminded me of my parents. Rosselini seems to be attempting a sort of travelogue meets drama here, and showcases Italy beautifully in the process. I love George Sanders, he could read a phone book and I would hang on every word. Bergman is excellent as the neglected wife. Only thing keeping this from true classic status is the abrupt ending, still, 4 stars.

10. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Not an easy movie but worth it. I can see this as a precursor to Antonioni. Rossellini uses his actors' insecurities to build character, sets them in expressive locations and allows us to observe their agony without sentiment.

11. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Journey to Italy

12. Au Hasard's rating of the film Journey to Italy

13. alchimia's rating of the film Journey to Italy

how do you say 'dolce far niente' in english?

14. Ethan's rating of the film Journey to Italy

This is another great performance from Ingrid Bergman and an intense emotional journey, expertly made by the master of the cinema Roberto Rossellini.

15. Boyuan123's rating of the film Journey to Italy

This is absolutely the best film of all time

16. Jason's rating of the film Journey to Italy

One of the key works of World Cinema, and one of the defining works of film modernism, but I can be excused for kinda not grasping why when it was first introduced to me in my youth. It needs to be placed in history, and the ideal viewer will ideally have some life behind he or she. A masterpiece about alienation and coupledom. But instructive. The sprawl of history atop which we are perched ought humble us.

17. ceknklsn's rating of the film Journey to Italy

18. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The best of the Rossellini/Bergman Criterion trilogy, by far. Reminded me of Certified Copy and Linklater’s Before movies.

19. gld48's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Beautifully shot. Bergman is great. Interesting backdrop of Naples. Realistic look at marriage from a bygone era. Enjoyed it.

20. bagno's rating of the film Journey to Italy

21. Maudealan's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The end doesn't feel like out of place even if I didn't like it, but so much desolate landscapes <3

22. kartina obskura's rating of the film Journey to Italy

“An honorable human relationship — that is, one in which two people have the right to use the word ‘love’ — is a process, delicate, violent, often terrifying to both persons involved, a process of refining the truths they can tell each other.” (Adrienne Rich) with such lightness and such grace Rossellini portrays something essentially complex. incredibly rich, it can be an examination of bourgeois boredom

23. senitree's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Love the details. Specially at the end when the woman takes her sunglasses off when she feels more confortable looking at what´s in front of her.

24. Rodrigo's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Rossellini actually achieved to create empathy through the exploration of scenery; I really loved the museum, Vesuvius and the Pompeii sequences (as everyone does). However, I think the dialogues and the resolution were horribly forced: Hollywood romance and neorealism didn't quite click.