1. SpacePirate's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Good depiction of a crumbling marriage. Reminded me of my parents. Rosselini seems to be attempting a sort of travelogue meets drama here, and showcases Italy beautifully in the process. I love George Sanders, he could read a phone book and I would hang on every word. Bergman is excellent as the neglected wife. Only thing keeping this from true classic status is the abrupt ending, still, 4 stars.

2. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Not an easy movie but worth it. I can see this as a precursor to Antonioni. Rossellini uses his actors' insecurities to build character, sets them in expressive locations and allows us to observe their agony without sentiment.

3. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Journey to Italy

4. Goye Nose's rating of the film Journey to Italy

As puerile as Gallagher smashing watermelons. Prolly the worst dialogue in any movie ever.

5. Au Hasard's rating of the film Journey to Italy

6. alchimia's rating of the film Journey to Italy

how do you say 'dolce far niente' in english?

7. Ethan's rating of the film Journey to Italy

This is another great performance from Ingrid Bergman and an intense emotional journey, expertly made by the master of the cinema Roberto Rossellini.

8. Jason's rating of the film Journey to Italy

One of the key works of World Cinema, and one of the defining works of film modernism, but I can be excused for kinda not grasping why when it was first introduced to me in my youth. It needs to be placed in history, and the ideal viewer will ideally have some life behind he or she. A masterpiece about alienation and coupledom. But instructive. The sprawl of history atop which we are perched ought humble us.

9. ceknklsn's rating of the film Journey to Italy

10. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The best of the Rossellini/Bergman Criterion trilogy, by far. Reminded me of Certified Copy and Linklater’s Before movies.

11. gld48's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Beautifully shot. Bergman is great. Interesting backdrop of Naples. Realistic look at marriage from a bygone era. Enjoyed it.

12. bagno's rating of the film Journey to Italy

13. Histioteuthis's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The end doesn't feel like out of place even if I didn't like it, but so much desolate landscapes <3

14. kartina obskura's rating of the film Journey to Italy

“An honorable human relationship — that is, one in which two people have the right to use the word ‘love’ — is a process, delicate, violent, often terrifying to both persons involved, a process of refining the truths they can tell each other.” (Adrienne Rich) with such lightness and such grace Rossellini portrays something essentially complex. incredibly rich, it can be an examination of bourgeois boredom

15. senitree's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Love the details. Specially at the end when the woman takes her sunglasses off when she feels more confortable looking at what´s in front of her.

16. Rodrigo's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Rossellini actually achieved to create empathy through the exploration of scenery; I really loved the museum, Vesuvius and the Pompeii sequences (as everyone does). However, I think the dialogues and the resolution were horribly forced: Hollywood romance and neorealism didn't quite click.

17. CafeGradiva's rating of the film Journey to Italy

18. Kim Avelar Marcelino da Silva's rating of the film Journey to Italy

Felt at first as a boring ass story about da slow destruction of a english couple marriage due to their vacation in Italy... Then Bang! The movie somehow manage to grow on you! I have complete empathy for the wife and contempt for the husband. A worthy must watch!

19. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Journey to Italy

The dead have something to teach us.

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Journey to Italy

21. A47's rating of the film Journey to Italy

"Is this the way out?" A movie so influential, so important to cinema, it's difficult to gauge how good it actually is. Regardless, an enthralling tale about the space that grows between a couple as they age. I particularly like the excavation scene; gloriously melodramatic, yet contains so much truth... "Perhaps we get hurt too easily."

22. Meriç Aksu's rating of the film Journey to Italy

23. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film Journey to Italy

It all started well when she was driving the car, but soon she became just like any other submissive woman without irony in the tone the issue is treated. This looked like any other american classic but not as good as the classics I love. Well, it was my first Rosselini and I watched it in the Cinemateca, guess I'll always remember it.

24. doolhof102x81's rating of the film Journey to Italy