1. Rafael Fonseca's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Kiyoshi Kurosawa is, to me, one of the uncrackables, both too mysterious and illusive to grasp intention and too vague and liquid to attach myself to.The first time I saw this "Kishibe No Tabi" in April 2016, I deleted my review out of frustrating indecisiveness. Through mysterious ways it found itself back into my life (I had blindly purchased a ticket to a film by the other Kurosawa - or so I thought), thankfully.▽

2. chanandre's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

[Cinémathèque PT - 35mm] Slower is not always better. the flower cutouts falling to the floor broke my heart.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Quiconque connaît tant soit peu l'univers fantasmagorique et tourmenté des réalisations de Kiyoshi Kurosawa, dans lesquelles les revenants et les macchabées sont légions, ne sera pas dépaysé par la structure et les composantes scénaristes du film, mais certainement étonné de l'atmosphère apaisée qui se dégage cette fois-ci, dans une sorte d'harmonie entre deux mondes. www.cinefiches.com

4. BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!'s rating of the film Journey to the Shore

5. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Beguiling, romantic, and steadfast in its refusal to conform to one idea.

6. bibonoaozora's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

3.5/5 It is by no means a masterpiece, but the truth is that I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It has some truly beautiful and poetic moments. Somehow felt like a sequel to Maborosi.

7. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

8. Jason's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Kiyoshi makes films that look relatively straightforward on paper. Maybe, yes, a little odd. But some of his movies are not only odd but odd in the way that they are odd. It's a mixture of tone and choices. Odd tone. Odd choices. I like this movie very much. It is simpering and delicate and gossamer. I like that it is odd in the way that it is odd. You can't quite put yr finger on it. A narcotic, somnolent quality.

9. mlstrx's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

11. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

"Once more from the start. Don't rush it. Nice and slow."

12. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

13. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

This film really did not work for me on any level. Kurosawa's direction (especially his handling of the actors) is so disconnected from the story, the scenes that are supposed to be big and powerful lack any kind of sizzle whatsoever. Furthermore, any interesting concepts the film presents about ghost and the afterlife are seldom explored beyond one or two scenes, if not merely given a few throwaway lines.

14. José Neves's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

When on 97, in a theater at Brussels, i discovered this filmmaker with the amazing "Cure", i couldn't guess that years later he would become a sort of filmmaker of "elevator images" (equivalent to the so-called "elevator music"), an ersatz well behaved of a lethargic succession of trivialities about life and death based on the fantastic, through an ornamental-lounge derivation (as Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter").

15. Stephane Tanaka's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

2++. Some hopes for the return of Kurosawa K., the less cheap of his last movies from the past 10 years. Some good ideas, not too cheap acting, and not too ugly dv picture as usual.

16. Cláudio Martins da Silva Alves's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Simultaneously too direct and too opaque. Still, it manages to create some enchanting sequences filled with modestly bombastic emotion, and it's realized with beautiful cinematography and masterfully precise set design. The film, as a whole, has the potential for greatness but, unfortunately, it never gets there. Fukatsu is as confusing as she is delicately heartbreaking.

17. Nicolas Marin.'s rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais.

18. Clayton's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

19. Sophie C.'s rating of the film Journey to the Shore

So disappointing. If it wasn't for a couple of beautiful and poetic scenes the film would be a disaster. The last 30 minutes were terrible.

20. polkasan's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

21. Ostermyers's rating of the film Journey to the Shore

Kurosawa is back and mix all the facets of his cinema. From Barren Illusions, Tokyo Sonata, Kairo, Shokuzai to Journey to the Shore.