1. Adam Metwally's rating of the film Ju Dou

"Sin breeds destruction" is not strong enough a concept for a film so thin in plot.

2. Adam GR's rating of the film Ju Dou

Chinese hardship à la Empire of Passion. I understand China has an adverse history and ancestral culture, but sin really does not cause this much destruction. I can't take stories like this anymore. Why not lock the uncle in a room? Maybe communicate openly with the child, and he won't try to murder both his fathers. My favorite part was the dyes and bright cloths flagged in the wind.

3. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Ju Dou

A classic of the heyday of new Chinese cinema along with films like Raise The red Lantern and Red Sorghum. Grim, gripping, inexorable tragedy with beautiful cinematography, star turns and the most worrying child since Damien in the Omen

4. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Ju Dou

Watched the Razor DVD version. Absolutely gorgeous photography and a decent erotic tragic love tale. However, it seemed to reach just short of being 5 stars for me. The Razor DVD is awful. Track down the Geneon release.

5. Maudie Osborne's rating of the film Ju Dou

Before he sold out to the CCP....

6. 丹尼斯's rating of the film Ju Dou

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Ju Dou

D'une étonnante beauté visuelle, une oeuvre émouvante et solide... www.cinefiches.com

8. misu's rating of the film Ju Dou

9. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Ju Dou

Ancient barriers never break.

10. grotesc's rating of the film Ju Dou

11. goulton green's rating of the film Ju Dou

Breath taking ode to love. Another beautiful house in Zhang Yimou movies. Dyed canvases that flog high up in the air and the light, beneath the shaded ground house heart.

12. Ricardo Andrade's rating of the film Ju Dou

13. Wasunan T's rating of the film Ju Dou

14. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Ju Dou

The beautful and tough film that first brought Zhang Yimou and Gong Li to the attention of U.S. audiences. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/03/small-village-somewhere-in-china-in.html

15. J. Pomp's rating of the film Ju Dou

Treats potentially hammy material with a striking sobriety. Uses colors masterfully- one stunning monochromatic tableau after another

16. xinsomniacdoll's rating of the film Ju Dou

17. liside's rating of the film Ju Dou

listen to the pig screaming for its life

18. captain's rating of the film Ju Dou

This is a film that needs a Blu-ray release, pronto. It wouldn't be that urgent, but the DVD is laughably bad, especially considering how successful of a filmmaker Zhang is. Regardless, I only take time to complain because of how wonderful Ju Dou was. Zhang is great, and Gong Li once again captivated.

19. Jerry G's rating of the film Ju Dou

20. rado's rating of the film Ju Dou

"Ju Dou" is a miracle of a film that can't be put into words.

21. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Ju Dou

From what I've seen so far Ju Dou is my favorite Zhang Yimou film. It's a classic story, and so are the themes, but it's all handled perfectly. And as usual Gong Li is nothing short of stunning. For me though the real star was the Technicolor cinematography which is so rich, sensual, and sumptuous. The dye mill really allowed for lots of great cinematic moments. Sadly the R1 DVD looks like a pirated copy. It sucks.

22. VENIMOS LOS JODIMOS Y NOS FUIMOS's rating of the film Ju Dou

Uno de los primeros trabajos de Zhang Yimou, y una de las mejores peliculas de su carrera. Especie de versiòn china de El Cartero llama dos veces, el film muestra las mejores virtudes del cine posterior del director (la solida presencia de Gong Li, deslumbrante sentido visual, dura critica a la condiciòn social de la mujer china, etc.). De lo mejor de los 90.