1. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Kagemusha

Oct '17 Well made but too long and the story is a little boring. Long predictable scenes..on and on..

2. Eduardo Rodriguez's rating of the film Kagemusha

Kurosawa uses design mise-en-scene deliberately for emotion. Many scenes in this film have characters in the foreground with the background as a set piece allowing the audience to understand what the character feels. Like when Shingen's double wakes from his nightmare, he wakes to a wall behind him with ocean and waves, which showed how he felt like he was drowning, as well as possibly foreshadowing events to come.

3. TheotherJones's rating of the film Kagemusha

I liked this better when it was called "Dave" and starred Kevin Klein.

4. Boyuan123's rating of the film Kagemusha

Actually quite innovative and beautiful.

5. gutthiuda's rating of the film Kagemusha

I'm quite baffled as to how they've managed to make the horses act so dramatically.

6. João Valadão's rating of the film Kagemusha

7. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Kagemusha

8. Ethan's rating of the film Kagemusha

While not Kurosawa's best work it is still a stunning epic that shows what a masterful craftsman Kurosawa truly was, with spectacular sets pieces, vibrant colors, and an end sequence that will send chills down your spine.

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Kagemusha

Pour son brillant esthétisme ! www.cinefiches.com

10. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Kagemusha

While the questions the story raises about image, persona and war are nothing to scoff at, what truly adds weight is Nakadai's arresting (dual?) performance and Kurosawa's obsession with color and the still frame. Combined with the leisurely pacing, this creates a strange, poetic melancholy that led my mind to drift to a bit of American poetry: you don't have to move that mountain. Just help me, lord, to climb it.

11. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Kagemusha

12. Aardsy's rating of the film Kagemusha

A masterclass in framing, staging and color.

13. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Kagemusha

Almost no need for subtitles. Visually stunning -how the banners of the warriors move with the wind !!

14. Chris's rating of the film Kagemusha

Engaging and emotional story, absolutely beautiful cinematography. Don't be put off by the runtime - every second is worth it! Excited to see more Kurosawa as this is the first one of his I've seen

15. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Kagemusha

Ahh, to be a lord's double in Feudal Japan...It's visually stunning, well-executed, and tragic; but with all the extended moments of silence amongst characters throughout, I can't help but complain about the run time. Relatively speaking, some 3 hour films fly by for an audience, and some don't.

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Kagemusha

17. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Kagemusha

The first Kurosawa I saw, and also the first Japanese film I saw, at age 15. I need to revisit this with more experienced eyes.

18. João Rocha's rating of the film Kagemusha

19. rowdyman's rating of the film Kagemusha

Set in 16th century Japan, this is the story of a thief who bears an uncanny resemblance to a powerful warlord. Yup. The old swicheroo.

20. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Kagemusha

That dream sequence is delicious.

21. HSBilly's rating of the film Kagemusha

epic, just epic. every frame is a painting. and its masterfully painted. the art.......makes me wanna cry.

22. Kid Sisyphus's rating of the film Kagemusha

I offer myself up for anonymous internet cinephile scorn, for I find this movie simply meh.

23. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Kagemusha

The political implications are enthralling; themes of power, corruption, leadership, the suppression of the self, all carefully woven into the fabric of the film. However, so much of the subtext can be seen as an extension on the idea of performance; the character compelled to put on a costume, to adopt a persona, to play a part. As such, it's not only AK's definitive political statement, but his most self-reflexive.

24. ihor's rating of the film Kagemusha

Late Kurosawa is much richer, meditative and symbolic than his earlier self yet his themes remain constant. With a large budget Kurosawa is able to construct a true epic with rich color painterly images which are essential to his narrative. Yet the film hangs too long on the symbols and rituals of it's main theme, essentially the illusions power can hold, and says less than it tries to.