1. OLIVER-J's rating of the film Kaili Blues

quiet, beautiful and as others have noted, brimming with an engrossing dream like rhythm. from a purely technical standpoint this film is stunning. Gan Bi is definitely one to watch.

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Less taxing on a second watch, but no less distressing. Imagine being on an endless trauma loop where your past and present anxieties play out on screen out of order.

3. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Kaili Blues

It turns out that a shallow plot enriched with stunning imagery and a mixture of mystery and bleak Chinese everydayness can be a deep cinematic experience. Still, it lacks a little in comparison to the works of those directors who have obviously inspired this endeavor.

4. Naila's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Really stunning but I just couldn't help but get bored.

5. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Kaili Blues

I have mixed feelings about this film. I enjoyed it, but I also felt let down at the end. While technically brilliant, poetic, and philosophically challenging, the long take actually dissolves the narrative at certain points (and the lens seems askew at others). Perhaps this is to show us that life occurs entirely in the present, and we create internal movies from our memories (and daydreams) to make sense of it all.

6. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Kaili Blues

There's a lot to unpack here. Visually, it's gorgeous. Definitely recommend viewing in HD if possible. Also very abstract. Will probably have to watch this again at some point, but I'm eagar to see what Gan Bi has coming next.

7. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Much more like stepping into a Breughel painting than The Mill And The Cross was. Astonishing movements inside space. I loved the plot that worked like a scroll painting or Medieval painting with events recurring in different registers.

8. mpho3's rating of the film Kaili Blues

"Bi has grabbed hold of the searching, remorseful component of noir and let the rest else slip away.... Mixing the mundane and the mystical... this is the journey of a mind haunted by loss, abandonment, and regret. It wouldn’t come as a shock if any given scene were revealed to be a dream sequence; it’s a sign of serious poetic temperament that none of them are." - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, AV Club. 3.5 stars

9. be_truc's rating of the film Kaili Blues

i loved this so much. lonely and soft and gentle.

10. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Kaili Blues

The magic of Gan Bi’s film is its ability to capture moments of mystical and timeless beauty encountered in both city and countryside. The realms of dream and reality, past and present, perception and memory overlap each other throughout. The long central take unveils an intimate sense of a place where the old and the new are mingled and we are reminded that cinema as poetry takes us beyond narrative structures.

11. zubee's rating of the film Kaili Blues

I can't read that fast.

12. Kwemo's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Of course the tracking shot is amazing but the world that is built here is ephemeral. Slow cinema that seems to understand why it's slow and why its the only way to tell this story. My only problem is that the movie starts even slower. You have to acclimate to the pacing but if you do you'll enjoy this piece.

13. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Kaili Blues

I honestly don't care where this film stands in terms of film theory but it's beautiful, touching, clever and a splendid portrait of a region of China I know nothing about.

14. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Kaili Blues

It works cause it is its own thing, like you can see the influences but it uses them as an inspiration not a copycat opportunity. Wish I saw it in a theatre but lovely debut

15. Adil's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Certainly ambitious but I am afraid it doesn't escape the long-take gimmick criticism. Nice combination of image, sound and poetry, although ultimately the whole 'passage of time' things falls a bit short.

16. David R Williams's rating of the film Kaili Blues

"Led by performances imbued with barely concealed sorrow, regret and longing to come to terms with that which has been lost, “Kaili Blues” affords a view of people, and a nation, caught in between a haunting yesterday and — as implied by the film’s conclusion — a hopeful tomorrow."

17. G.'s rating of the film Kaili Blues

Although I definitely appreciate the ambition of this film's celebrated long-take, the execution was amateur in a way that I found too distracting and ultimately purposeless. Incidentally, do any of the more technical mubi-heads out there know why the image seemed to kind of wobble or flap as though projected on a curtain in the wind at some points?

18. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Kaili Blues

19. John's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Stunning. Cinematic bliss. Also an ethnographic discovery to boot. Hope Bi Gan continues to evolve. The use of poetry as a kind of soundtrack element is inspired. Hope he continues that as well.

20. Traum Baum's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Time is fluid, but we don't need clocks as a constant reminder of it. The time-image notion can be great as long as you know how to apply it.

21. juanitarrr's rating of the film Kaili Blues

22. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Kaili Blues

Un hombre en búsqueda/rescate de un familiar. Será una suerte de redención y reconciliación con su pasado. ¿Qué lo hace interesante? El director crea un paralelismo de tiempos, y además lo hace ambiguo. Por momentos vemos al protagonista encontrándose con personajes que parecen ser remembranzas de su pasado, pero también posibilidades. Hay además una temporalidad presente, documental, literal en un plano secuencia.

23. xuxuxush's rating of the film Kaili Blues