1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Kes

At his best, Ken Loach has a style so unadorned that it seems as if a camera isn't even there, and this is indeed Loach at his best: the brute force of a teen's working-class education played off against the more sensitive way the boy fosters his pet falcon. It's a tender study of thwarted childhood—and it gets away with an ending that shows how much Loach, as a storyteller, could resort to brute force himself.

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Kes

Second film directed by Ken Loach and cinematography by Chris Menges. Maybe Ken Loach's masterpiece. At least to me.

3. Nachtreich's rating of the film Kes

4. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Kes

5. Ghostman's rating of the film Kes

One of the great coming of age films. Its power comes from its unflinching look at working class life; with sharp social commentary on the nigh pre-determined fates of those neglected by society. Starring non-actors, it has an authenticity that's remarkable & its unsentimental view is refreshing from the overwrought cock & bull blockbusters we get on a weekly basis. Timeless & unforgettable, Kes is one for the ages.

6. dionysus67's rating of the film Kes

A riveting film with a supremely authentic, humanist, and naturalistically political view of working-class England. Entirely free of languid moralizing, "Kes" speaks volumes about how power structures can turn life into a tragic experience. Scenes like the one in the pub are Janus-faced (entertainment both as ideology and as release from surplus-labor alienation) and confirm Loach's refined view of dialectics.

7. thurst0nmoore's rating of the film Kes

8. Django's rating of the film Kes

An unblinking revelation of the lives of a whole swath of people in post war Britain summed up perfectly by a scrawny, overlooked boy who harbors hidden depths. The film often has a documentary feel which solidly grounds it emotionally. Loach's social commentary is undeniable but never pedantic and all the characters are treated with a respect they likely would rarely have received in the wider society.

9. MONSIEURDE's rating of the film Kes

10. Joao Domingues's rating of the film Kes

ls it heck tame! Hawks can't be tamed. They're manned. It's wild and it's fierce and it's not bothered about anybody. Not bothered about me, right. That's what makes it great. I just want her for her looks and to fly her. I think she's done me a favour, lettin' me watch her.

11. ourladyofchains's rating of the film Kes

my heart.. a story of childhood alienation set in a cold n austere northern working-class mining town. an uneasy n sad watch but there are moments of lightness and hope, particularly in the beautiful scenes of billy training and playing with kes which still haunt me.

12. Avenca's rating of the film Kes

An unordinary approach to the misfit kid theme. The simplicity of the plot is amended by the outsanding and genuine acting alongside with Billy's caring love for Kes throughout the never ending fields of Yorkshire, despite being ostracized by both his family and colleagues.

13. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Kes

14. luminous's rating of the film Kes

"like flying in a pocket of silence"

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Kes

Cette oeuvre profondément engagée et dénonciatrice, vilipende finement l'incurie du système éducatif anglais, l'absence flagrante d'un quelconque investissement du corps professoral dans un semblant de pédagogie et l'omniprésence du rôle répressif dans l'enseignement et les fastidieuses doctrines scolaires... www.cinefiches.com

16. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Kes

17. -REM-'s rating of the film Kes

18. petit astronaute's rating of the film Kes

19. adrianafeder's rating of the film Kes

"Falcões não podem ser domesticados. Eles são selvagens e ferozes e não se importam com ninguém. Ele não se importa nem comigo. É o que o faz tão legal. Eu quero ele pelo que ele é, pra deixá-lo voar. Eles podem ficar com seus papagaios. Eles não são nada comparados com Kes. Sabe, senhor? Eu acho que ele me faz um favor, ao me deixar vê-lo voar."

20. Nikita Rasskazov's rating of the film Kes

It is still very contemporary film in terms of commenting on teenager's worldview and educational system. An example of social criticism through film in the form of poetry. And the most important thing is that Kes is equally strong in visual and audio aspects. Its cinematography is precise and picturesque.

21. Chris's rating of the film Kes

did not expect myself to become so emotionally attached to a bird, 9/10

22. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Kes

‘Kes’ states, with truth, that peace among men is impossible.

23. muh.'s rating of the film Kes

(4.5) it breaks my heart whenever i watch it. you get the dreary, dead-end cultural and economic landscape of northern england crushing down on a maladjusted and lost individual who manages to find peace only through his contact with nature. and we all now how good those things end up..

24. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Kes

La vida de un niño sometido a la dureza y amargura de sus mayores que halla solaz entrenando a un pequeño halcón. La película te atrapa sin necesidad de apelar a estridencias dramáticas o golpes bajos. La espontaneidad y frescura de los actores y las situaciones son impresionantes.

← Previous 1 3 4