1. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Kimjongilia

The direction of the film feels like an Oliver Stone project but when the truth actually is this horrible? I think it could've been a lot longer and more in depth; but then I guess it wouldn't quite pack the punch it does now.

2. joao.crepschi's rating of the film Kimjongilia

E que era só agonia. E agonizava. Exu quer comer...

3. DrFirestone's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Quite a shocking documentary. The format is rather unique, especially considering the topic - the interviews are accompanied by animation and modern dance plus some real footage from North Korea. This provides some relieve from the morbid and brutal reality, it felt like a dreamy escape from the madness... I wish the interviews were put together in a bit less erratic fashion.

4. Juan Javier's rating of the film Kimjongilia

No es muy creativo, pues confía en la seducción del tema.

5. Massimo's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Informative documentary, average editing.

6. dionysus67's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Enlightening documentary about a society with no Enlightenment. Categorial murder and oppression for those who, for nothing, can be labelled dissenters. The testimonies of fugitives are both moving and revealing and convey the agony of escape to S.Korea, China and Mongolia with vivid minimalism in stark contrast to the choreohraphed kitsch apotheosis of massive collective rituals that deifed Kim. Powerful and sad.

7. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film Kimjongilia

8. nedjma's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Poignant testimonials, although necessary. But still, we would have liked to understand the people that cooperated with the regime, the ones that runned the camps or executed people. 'cos at the end of this documentary (and many others about totalitarian regimes) we always discover absolute evil without being able to understand it : how actual humans turn into executioners and operate vile apparatus of domination ?

9. tinderness's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Eine doch recht konservativ gestaltete Dokumentation, die formal nur wenig besticht. Aber wie kann man einen Film abtun, der sich engagiert mit dem Leiden von Menschen beschäftigt und ein ganzes Land vor dem Vergessen bewahrt. Denn mehr als weltpolitische Schlagzeilen bieten die Massenmedien kaum. Deshalb herzlichen Dank für den Film.

10. marinamarina9@hotmail.com's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Un tragico ritratto di una mostruosa società disumanizzante. L’indifferenza dell’ONU é scandalosa. Tradiamo il “never again”, tradiamo l’Umanitá.

11. Korial's rating of the film Kimjongilia

A vintage approach to political documentary. Sometimes overly dramatic and maybe subtly lined up with warmongers' attitudes. Nevertheless, it goes right to the point by exposing us to the unbelievable cruelty of one of the most enduring tyranny of our times.

12. Isaac's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Infelizmente se vê muito potencial desperdiçado com o tema neste documentário por conta do seu estilo e técnico demasiadamente prosaico. Positivo por conta das entrevistas, contextualização e revelações acerca da vivência no país mais fechado do mundo, mas negativo por ser muito simples, ter um certo ar de amadorismo e uma trilha intrusiva.

13. Rex Freeman's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Dear Mubi, Thanks a bunch for annihilating my weekend downloads - including this one I was watching - without warning with your app update just then you fucking morons. Kim John whatever would make a more considerate app administrator than any of you. Try not to die in a storm or anything.

14. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Insightful and poignant documentary about North Korea and some of its' horrible secrets. Important message, but rather unimpressive in it's structure and presentation.

15. juan's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Mubi tal vez programa esta película televisiva de nulo riesgo cinematográfico para hacer contrapeso (político) a la gran película de Minervini – The other side, que justamente, es el otro lado de este panfleto. Estas películas torpes de la derecha hacen extrañar a la extraordinaria Leni Riefenstahl !

16. Gali's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Many parts already outdated by now and this film did not age well in the last five or six years.

17. siobhantebbs's rating of the film Kimjongilia

This doc brings you right up close to the suffering of individuals and their families in NK that looks a long way from being curbed. Inspiring to hear the escape stories but the clear trauma in the escapees' words don't bring us cathartic tales so much as horrifying illumination of the way life still is for many people in NK.

18. Rogério Giugliano's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Estrelas pela importância do tema e pela força dos testemunhos, mas cinematograficamente um pouco decepcionante.

19. Justepourmesouveniraprès's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Ok, it's important to know about torture and the brainwhash that's going on on Korea for decades. But this documentary is tasteless. Sometimes (in this case, almost everytime) what people say is sad enough or strong enough. But the director tries to underline it with to much music, animations and tasteless stuff. It's just boring.

20. James Mackin's rating of the film Kimjongilia

One of those documentaries about a travesty and how it affected various people. I was expecting a documentary on the cult of personality that is the Kim family, but oh well.

21. Pascale Théoret-Groulx's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Giving a 3 is a bit hard for me for its unnecessary over-dramatisation of the subject matter (It's already incredibly dramatic, no need to spread it even thicker) and for the poor editing and stylistic choices. But as others mention, it's still a powerful film simply for exposition North Korea's incredibly disturbing regime and practices and for its courageous testimonies. despite the total repression

22. Ioana's rating of the film Kimjongilia

very important to expose North Korea's regime by as many documentaries and sources as possible. Maybe more awareness will bring forth that change we wish for. That being said, I don't like the particular style of this documentary, from an artistic pov, but the content is what gives its value.

23. Carmen Munteanu's rating of the film Kimjongilia

Brave testimonials. It's the first time in 25 years I had the courage to watch a documentary about terror and dictatorship . You should see it. Knowing the history so we never again repeat it. I'm from Romania. I usually was the 2nd in the 1st "C" in Ceausescu's name' body-shaped-shows. We've killed Ceausescu. On Christmas "89. But the communism sick legacy - not yet.

24. brandos's rating of the film Kimjongilia

hit or miss at times. but coming from a country which was also plagued by a dictatorship (which also came with the standard soviet cult of personality that was actually inspired by kim il-sung and mao) i can't help but overlook some cheesy choices in directing. breaks my heart to see how hopeful most defectors were that north korea would rise again after kim jong-il died and they just got his junior replacement.