1. Diderot's rating of the film King Lear

One of the real essentials in Godard's career, and one of his most overlooked (having important connections with other of his essentials, from "2 or 3 Things" to "For Ever Mozart" to "Notre Musique"). But even if it weren't, how can you resist a film that contains Godard along with Norman Mailer, Molly Ringwald, Julie Delpy, Leos Carax, Burgess Meredith, Peter Sellars, and even Woody Allen?

2. Balthaz21's rating of the film King Lear

3. Zac Weber's rating of the film King Lear

Anarcho film theory in praxis. I was particularly interested to learn Godard found financial backing from The Cannon Group, a production company better known for Chuck Norris action flicks and movies like Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

4. Ethan's rating of the film King Lear

Another underrated film by Godard and the only other person besides Welles to have the balls to really fuck with Shakespeare's stuff. Plus Woody Allen in a Godard film, it's a wild dream.

5. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film King Lear

An underrated one, although I'm not massively keen on Peter Sellars' performance. Actually quite accessible by 80s Godard standards too.

6. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film King Lear

This is an overlooked film in Jean-Luc Godard's career, despite being one of his multi layered and intellectually rigorous films. I think it's one of his best!

7. Coelho's rating of the film King Lear

cinema surpasses literature

8. Chris_Parker's rating of the film King Lear

This was when Godard actually began to make profound, thought-provoking films that questioned the role of the cinema (& art in general) in a time when there are so many more important things & what it really means to make a film. King Lear is a masterpiece & Godard is fully aware of this because he keeps referring back to it. This is a profound work about the instability of language & the rebirth of art’s first image

9. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film King Lear

Like a lot of Godard a mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. It's interesting how well Burgess Meridith and Molly Ringwald fit in so well into Godard's universe.

10. Marc St-Cyr (Death cinéphilia)'s rating of the film King Lear

The film could have been more sharp and straight forward. But, Godard doesn't want it. Godard's films should be appreciate more like « abstract art collage » than like actual « narrative film » (even if it's often dull and incomprehensible), that's why we can't get Godard's work. Godard is the Picasso of cinema; it's the only one who understand the value of cinema as an art form and sociological tool. Few gets it.

11. cinemaofdreams's rating of the film King Lear

An audacious, pretentiously Godard undertaking. Poetic and confusing, a heap of images and words as if produced out of a drug-induced state by a street-junkie Bard. Brilliant and divisive.

12. Jack Hoehn's rating of the film King Lear

A weird mix of some of my favorite and least favorite JLG tendencies -- the former ultimately win it for me, though. Bonus points for the truly amazing mix of actors in the cast.

13. brandonsyl's rating of the film King Lear

Godard is not one of my favorite filmmakers because of what he did from 1959-1967, he is my favorite director because of all the films since.

14. Mike Plaid's rating of the film King Lear

Molly Ringwald was in a Godard movie? Get outta here...

15. Francisco's rating of the film King Lear

16. Luke's rating of the film King Lear

Why isn't '80s JLG canonized as much? As radical as anything he's done. And brilliant.

17. Michael Convery's rating of the film King Lear

If the video quality had the same quality of the soundtrack King Lear would be a great film, even with the occasional scenes that look like a teen's YouTube video done in a back yard.

18. nowhere_fast's rating of the film King Lear

jesus christ, I just get my mind fucked up after this, and I star repeating some of the words, I think I got the film

19. Sean Keeley's rating of the film King Lear

Some of it is admittedly inscrutable, though I will surely gain more from a second viewing. Overall, though, I found it an enjoyable, comically surreal rumination on the idea of reconstructing art. Godard's tricks with the soundtrack and images are always inventive and playful, even if you're not quite sure what he's up to.

20. David Harwood's rating of the film King Lear

Awesome exportation of the conflict between Creation and Destruction. How I wish for this to be released on Criterion...

21. aiex's rating of the film King Lear

This is the reason I like cinema as much as I do now. I first watched it when I was 13, didn't understand anything, yet I loved every second.

22. Adam Hudson's rating of the film King Lear

I don't know what to say about this film. It's completely nuts!!!!