1. josé luis rangel's rating of the film Kuro

absolutely stunning. Kuro proves once again that the most game-changing films right now all use the tools of documentary filmmaking.

2. M****'s rating of the film Kuro

3. Massimo's rating of the film Kuro

4. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Kuro

Delightfully disturbing. Once in a while I see a film or read a book, or hear a song the atmosphere of which is so dark, menacing, and absurdly hilarious that I instantly fall in love. This is one of such cases. The video narration shows a woman who cares for her paraplegic lover and is sinking deep into grief. The audio narration tells a very peculiar story with the same characters. And there's a bottle of warts.

5. Juan Javier's rating of the film Kuro

Una situación excepcional no es garantía de una película mínimamente interesante.

6. YellowDog's rating of the film Kuro

I would’ve liked to see this as a short film. I followed it closely but around two-thirds of the way though, the characters and plot sort of ceased to mean anything to me. Everything became to abstracted and visually dull/lifeless that the charisma that the movie started with was gone. Not to sound too critical. It’s an ambitious concept— and that it stopped resonating with me is just my personal reaction.

7. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Kuro

This is why I’m here! This sort of thing that I cannot find anywhere else online. Thank you, MUBI!

8. Sarah's rating of the film Kuro

I couldn't get through more than ten minutes of it. The eyes were rolling hard. Perhaps it's one of those that develops slowly. Name five movies that are great despite developing as the speed of drying paint. 1. Wings of Desire 2. nope. Just Wings. There are no more. What were these people thinking? The little I saw was heavily ponderous and and ineffectively so. BORING!

9. mpho3's rating of the film Kuro

"We became interested in [people's] need for narrative to make sense of our lives and how stories become a kind of fragile architecture through which we navigate our understanding of the world. ...We became quite obsessed with the idea of nurturing the ambiguity of the Kuro character, not for the sake of being ambiguous but to retain its presence as something unknowable....- Koyama and Noriko, Mubi Notebook

10. Timmy93's rating of the film Kuro

I was expecting an art not a horror film. I couldn’t sleep last night. Give the boy a warning next time MUBI?

11. Dante Cosentino's rating of the film Kuro

The visuals were pretty, the music great, and the narration was well executed except what was actually being said was disturbing and nonsensical.

12. Thoke's rating of the film Kuro

As beautiful as it is disturbing

13. lou.'s rating of the film Kuro

What an experience. The movie is beautiful and exhausting at the same time. Poetry and cruelty blend in a flow of a beauty-horror stream of two dis/connected audio and visual narrations. In any case, this reinforces my ideas concerning dangered, stunning Japanese aesthetics: could I ever be able to understand it, beyond feeling it? To me, Romi's character remains disturbing and unsettling, as much as compassionate.

14. Superfrog's rating of the film Kuro

Beautiful it image, surreal narration. Lost me halfway through...

15. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Kuro

Joji Koyama and Tujiko Noriko (who also stars) present an intriguing, mesmerising film of one character reminding another of time they spent together in Japan. The film uses narration juxtaposed alongside vague imagery, making viewers decide how much they want to believe, if any, of the tale being told.

16. thetdw's rating of the film Kuro

A haunting and uncomfortable poem. Beautiful visuals, and Tujiko Noriko’s music and sound design is as strong as ever.

17. captainfez's rating of the film Kuro

There's a lot more about warts in here than I had expected.

18. Mr. Dude_o_o's rating of the film Kuro

A little bit of Parajanov and Fassbinder, but mostly Resnais and Marker. Probably VENOM AND ETERNITY is a major influence since both the visual and the narrated exist independently. The most ravishing film I have seen in a long time.

19. Renton47's rating of the film Kuro

Meaning is relayed in interstitial bursts of synchronicity: we understand at wavering times the relationship between sound and image. If this sounds academic it occasionally is, until I realised what I'd been experiencing was weirder, darker, sadder than envisaged. As a dual concoction it's startling, but as often the case with experimental I wish I'd had the cheat sheet before viewing. 3.5

20. I.Camera's rating of the film Kuro

Ok, this is a strange one, a dual narrative with no on-screen dialogue, directed by Joji Koyama and Tujiko Noriko. The lead charancter Milou, while looking after her quadriplegic boyfriend, recounts her relationship with the elderly 'Mr Ono'. Clearly influenced by Chris Marker, it is an unsettling experience, particularly as the meaning of the title becomes clearer. A puzzling short from the smaller festival screens.

21. fmhbsas's rating of the film Kuro

Creo que prefiero leer un libro. La fotografía del film es hermosa pero me aburrió mucho como pieza de cine. Carece de algo.

22. 絵莉's rating of the film Kuro

my soul has been depressed.

23. Mike27's rating of the film Kuro

Interessante trabalho com imagens e texto que lembra a leitura de um romance. Bom filme, sem dúvida.

24. Kelechi Agwuncha's rating of the film Kuro

this visual poetry is immense. there’s at times a discord between null / static shot and voiceover that speaks of straining moments, but it really makes sense of a past struggle told through words. realism should be captured in this way more often, not requiring a parallel of action & dialogue, but rather a parallel of characters habits. milou still remains a mystery to me...