1. Dignan's rating of the film Kwaidan

Fake sets. Real ghosts.

2. Skygazer's rating of the film Kwaidan

3. tima's rating of the film Kwaidan

shout out to the person who was in charge of the smoke machine

4. Jeremiah-Johnson's rating of the film Kwaidan

A very interesting and atmospheric collection of films with a wonderfully captivating sound design that lends to the chilling and, often times, unsettling nature of the scenes portrayed. Very psychological, in aspect, rather than visually terrifying, but lacking none of the expressionism necessary to carry the subjective terror into the external world beyond!

5. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Kwaidan

6. raggiodisole's rating of the film Kwaidan

tales of human weaknesses, exploited by the subconscious. These are the places we fear to tread, and the dazzling way in which this was shot and presented made the experience so much more visceral.

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Kwaidan

Based on Lafcadio Hearn's collection of folk tales, Kwaidan is quiet and fairy tale-like, whose strengths lie not only in the calm suspense, but also in the expressionist visuals that add to the sense of otherworldliness. Kwaidan definitely belongs to the wide horror genre spectrum, although because of the folklore background, it may not be intended to scare you shitless, but to exude creepy supernatural atmosphere.

8. pandakuma's rating of the film Kwaidan

you can easily tell that this magnificent film was made by an artistic filmmaker. hats off, kobayashi-san!

9. BleepyBloop's rating of the film Kwaidan

I first caught this on tv in the mid 90's and it completely fried my brain. Then in Japan I bought an amazing lavish laserdisc at Tower Records in Shibuya, which I have kept because it's so beautiful. I bought an LD player just to play it. The grade on the Jap version is more flat than the Criterion one which is frankly a fuck up. Go for the Masters of Cinema version, it matches my LD as far as artistic intent.

10. Paul's rating of the film Kwaidan

Opening credit sequence alone is worth the watch. Haunting (surprise) and beautiful ghost stories!

11. Marcus Killerby's rating of the film Kwaidan

Cannot forgive Criterion for releasing this highly incomplete

12. MostlyDead's rating of the film Kwaidan

I was confused by the ending of the last story, but then, that's what you get for making a film version of something that's unfinished.

13. yuriwalker's rating of the film Kwaidan

One of the most terrifying yet incredible cinematic experience i ever had, it takes me into a different realm.

14. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film Kwaidan

15. Liam Grieves's rating of the film Kwaidan

Serious coin would be dropped on a UK blu-ray release of this masterwork. Come on, Eureka.

16. ElTigreNegro's rating of the film Kwaidan

Gorgeous and haunting. One of the greatest horror films ever made.

17. joey Noodles's rating of the film Kwaidan

I adored it, quite a staggering achievement. The Woman in the Snow and Hoichi the Earless are certainly the two best, but the more I think about Black Hair the more I like it, In a Cup of Tea was good but that ending was slightly unfortunate, but again, the more I think about it the more I like it. Visuals are sublime, a great film.

18. Rene Maurin's rating of the film Kwaidan

Brilliant ... Not even to mention the visuals. Had hard time deciphering if shot in studio or nature sometimes ...

19. Lee Bullitt's rating of the film Kwaidan

definitely enjoyed 'Hiochi the Earless' and 'The Woman in the Snow' most, of the 4 vignettes. All in all, it was a stunning compilation. ☽ ☾ Read my full review here: http://liveforfilm.tumblr.com/post/34687211570/kwaidan-1965

20. Jakob Larsson's rating of the film Kwaidan

21. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Kwaidan

It takes real talent in an artist to make a ghost story scary and poetic, and here are four of them. Before, only in the Powell/Pressburger films I had seen such pictorial beauty.

22. MudbloodNemsi's rating of the film Kwaidan

23. Dionisius Amendola's rating of the film Kwaidan

Ok...its nota scary movie, folks...four tales of supernatural and beautiful images (the skies are pure Hiroshige).

24. Prabs's rating of the film Kwaidan

I thought this would be brilliant, with it's art set and ghost theme, made by kobayashi but was actually quite disappoiting watch.